Chapter 9 - Rain & The Revelation.

Daniel's POV:

Chapter 9: Rain & The Revelation

Daniel's POV:

California? that was miles and miles away. I  felt dizzy and sat down on a park bench; allowing myself to collect my thoughts and the day's events. One thing was for sure, the problems seemed to be stacking up like bricks on a wall. I had Scarlett and my father to answer to this afternoon if I didn't go to the horse racing show as Scarlett had fake yet incriminating evidence on her iPhone. Would Mariam believe Scarlett? I thought to myself. Usually, no. However, a picture like that would send alarm bells ringing for anyone let alone Mariam who was convinced everything was over and that I was better off with Scarlett.

I glanced over at a little boy and girl who were pushing each other on the swings and then proceeded to chase each other around the park. The girl had beautiful long brown hair and green eyes while the boy had the cutest face and a short, brown cropped haircut. I rubbed my hands together and then ran a hair through my black, silky hair. I contemplated my next move for a moment before deciding to call my mother. The first time the voice mail picked up -

"Hi, this is Patricia. I'm busy, call back later or leave your number. Buhbye" said the woman's cheerful voice. I sighed and then gave her another ring, crossing my fingers and hoping she would pick up. Finally, my mother answered the phone. Result!

 "Hello?" her voice chirped and sounded velvety on the other side of the phone line.

"Mum?" I asked pausing and waiting for a reply.

Her voice perked up at the sound of my voice "Daniel? Honey, are you okay?"

I sighed "Yeah, mum, I'm fine. Look, I went over to Mariam's house and guess what? she's moved to California!" I exclaimed not realizing that I was shouting and startled the children playing on the swing who looked at me like I was crazy.

"What?" my mother exclaimed - equally as loud - "Daniel, you have to go the horse-racing show. Forget what I told you today. Your father and Scarlett will destroy you if you don't." She squeaked "Son, go." she demanded and pleaded.

I sighed and thought about my mother's perplexed and apprehensive expression as she played with her blonde hair and tugged on her black, perfectly fitted suit and sitting at her mahogany desk at work. "I'll try." I replied simply and hung up.

I decided to walk past the pedestrians on the street briskly and past the library, sports stadium and several newsagents and supermarkets. Finally, I arrived home and as I peeled off my jacket, noticed the faint smell of cookies that still hung in the air. Without a second thought, I ran up the stairs and to my room.

I lay on my bed and was torn on what I should do. Going to the horse racing show would mean victory for Scarlett and my father. They'd have complete control over me and I would never let anyone treat me like that.

Anyone.

My pride was too much for my own good sometimes.

 I let my mind wander before heading over to my laptop and opening it up and there she was - I was met by Mariam's smiling expression as my desktop background which made me smile. It's like she had this effect on people that drove you crazy. Then, I did something completely stupid and reckless. I walked over to my father's study, grabbing the key underneath the carpet and walked in and moved into the room and opened the safe where he kept all of his money. I'm surprised that the combination is still the same yet grateful and I reach over and borrow some money. This wasn't stealing as most of the money in there was part of my trust fund money that I've saved for my father in the past and let him have.