Chapter 22 - Hidden Secrets & Misconceptions.

Daniel's POV:

"Dad, where's Scar?"

"Taken care of." he replied sharply with blood smeared on his forehead.

My father or should I say ex-father's statement when my mother and I were hostage still hung in my mind. Scarlett was still missing. Her mother was becoming an alcoholic and her father was feeling hopeless not knowing how to make his wife feel any better about the situation. A sickening feeling stirred in my stomach that made me feel as though Scarlett was either in grave trouble or she was 'taken care of' like my father had stated so calmly. In other words, he had probably killed her. I could imagine him slitting her throat and dumping her in an empty river and assigning all sorts of 'trustowrthy' clients to cover his tracks. Conrad James was many things and extremely smart was one of them. The police probably thought they had the power to uncover his secrets but even they were scared of the air of confidence that oozed out of him even when he wasn't trying. He was sure of himself even in the face of the law and remained a blank expression when asked interrogating questions; he didn't even flinch. A man like him could talk his way out of a murder with blood on his hands and make himself look innocent. He was just that manipulative, evil and clever.

I heard an abrupt knock at the door that immediately snapped me out of my inquisitive and curious thoughts.

"Danny, would you get the door? I'm busy making dinner and your father has just popped out to the shops darling." my mother shouted from the kitchen.

I sighed and rised from the chair walking towards the marble door and proceeded to open it. "We meet again." the voice said in a harsh tone "My, my, well I can't say that I haven't been waiting for this moment for long. After you told the police I shot Mariam and I was given a restraining order. I must say It's just lovely to see you...son." his eyes were dark and had dark circles, he smelled of strong alcohol and looked like he was very unsteady on his feet.Something about him still intimidated me and I wasn't sure why.

"Look, just leave Conrad? No-one wants you here." He chuckled bitterly and bore his brooding eyes into mine "I came to see Patricia. She's clearly making a mistake with this Yassin guy. She can't possibly be serious."

Now, it was my time to throw my head back in exaggeration and laugh and reply back sharply,

"Too little too late to come running back to your family, isn't it? Or should I say 'fake dad' how could you pretend to be my father?"

He smiled "As soon as I saw in the paper back when you were born that Yassin had left this woman alone I thought that my name would be known and I'd finally get the politician's lifestyle that I had always dreamed of. I came from a poor family and I needed that recognition. Your mother provided me that. Sure, I was carrying the burden of raising her annoying and spoilt son but It was all worth it." 

I felt my hands trembling and I was losing my ability to breathe "Does my mother know this?" I asked in a panic-stricken tone. 

He leaned in and I could feel his warm breathe on my face that smelled of vodka and whisky. "She doesn't but she will now. I'm sorry 'son'." he said with air quoting fingers "but I just used you guys to get to the career path that I needed. I was seen as the noble man who took on the woman who was left by her Prince charming and his kid. I became a national hero." he smiled with a look of nostalgia on his face.

"Get out." I barked "Get out right now." I could hear my mother's footsteps walking towards the door