20 - Decisions

JERON

"O eto."

I handed Mika the small white envelope that contains her fee for her brother's birthday.

From their residence in Manila, we decided to kill some time here in the park across our lot.

The thing about our street, it lives up to its name.

Mapayapa.

Lights are off in most of the houses since the residents sleep early. No kids are out in the playground at night and so we got the swing to ourselves.

"Ano 'to?", tanong niya habang binubuksan yung envelope.

"Talent fee from your mom. Galing mong sumayaw eh."

"Hala! May ganito pa? Saka parang ang laki naman yata nito. Sana di mo tinanggap.", she said upon seeing the amount of money inside.

"What would I say? Alangang sabihin ko, Hindi po nagpapabayad yung dinosaur kasi ang totoo, siya po yung nawawala niyong anak."

The truth is, her mom insisted on giving the fee since alam niyang working student si Mika.

"Siraulo ka. Pero...

...Thank you, Jeron. Hindi ko talaga alam kung paano ako magpapasalamat sayo."

That's how I felt, too, when you saved my Angkong.

"That was all you. Ikaw yung nagsuot ng costume. Ikaw rin yung nagpractice to give them a good performance. What you did wasn't easy.", I told her.

"Kahit na. Hindi naman yun mangyayari kung di mo nakausap yung organizer eh."

I didn't know how to respond. Mahirap na, baka magtanong pa siya tungkol doon.

All I know is that...

As of now... I would do anything I can...

...just to see her happy.

The silence in the atmosphere got disrupted when a balut vendor came passing by while shouting out.

"Uy, balut!", she stood immediately and approached him.

Pagbalik niya, may hawak siyang plastic na may lamang dalawang itlog.

"O, sayo yung isa. As my way of showing gratitude."

"Sayo na yan. A thank you would suffice.", sagot ko.

She looked at me disbelievingly and tried to figure me out again.

Ahhh, this girl.

"Aha! Nandidiri ka dito 'no?!", she exclaimed.

Yep, you got that right. Ang lansa kaya nyan. And the chick! Don't you have mercy on the chick?