Chapter 1- Not While I'm Around

All Blaine could do was sit and cry, sit and cry.

He was all alone, though some of Kurt's friends from the New Directions were there to accompany him, the ones that were in New York, that is. Even though they were there, telling him everything would be alright, he felt emptiness pang at his heart and loneliness consume him.

The doctors already said that Kurt would be fine physically, and that no major damage had been done, why wouldn't they let Blaine see him?

It was only making it worse that Artie was wheeling around the waiting room, as a replacement for pacing.

Mercedes was sitting far off in a corner with her head in her hands. She hadn't said a word since she got there thirty minutes ago.

Rachel was crying in the chair next to Blaine and quietly saying to herself the lyrics of Don't Rain on my Parade over and over again. Her hand was also tightly squeezing his, as if in fear that he would disappear.

Sam was running his hand through his hair like Danny Zuko and tapping his foot on the ground in a steady rhythm.

"Kurt Hummel?" a voice called from the hallway.

All four of them stood up, well except for Artie, of course. Blaine ran to the doctor and just looked at him, what he was going to say being shown through his tear-filled eyes.

"Follow me, please."

They walked behind the man jittery and scared, praying in their heads that Kurt would be okay.

"Please let him be okay," Blaine thought.

The man stopped at a door on the right hand side and motioned for them to go inside.

It wasn't as bad as Blaine imagined and not nearly as bad as the image Blaine had tried to forget about: Kurt lying prone on the ground naked.

He did have a few cuts and bruises on his face, but that didn't take away from his still beautiful features.

That doesn't mean that Blaine wasn't holding back from choking on a sob. He pulled up a chair and held Kurt's hand, same as Rachel had only minutes before: like he could disappear.

All Blaine could think to do was sing.

Nothing's gonna harm you, not while I'm around
Nothing's gonna harm you, no sir, not while I'm around
Demons are prowling everywhere nowadays
I'll send them howling
I don't care, I got ways
No one's gonna hurt you,
No one's gonna dare
Others can desert you,
Not to worry, whistle, I'll be there!
Demons'll charm you with a smile, for a while,
But in time...
Nothing can harm you
Not while I'm around...
Being close and being clever
Ain't like being true
I don't need to,
I would never hide a thing from you,
Like some...
No one's gonna hurt you, no one's gonna dare
Others can desert you,
Not to worry, whistle, I'll be there!
Demons'll charm you with a smile, for a while
But in time...
Nothing can harm you
Not while I'm around...

By the of the song, Blaine had stray tears falling out of his eyes and he had climbed into the tiny hospital bed next to Kurt, holding him in his strong arms.

The second he closed his eyes, he felt the man he was wrapped around jump.

Blaine sat up abruptly only to see Kurt's eyes wide. "Kurt you're awake!" The man attacked his boyfriend in a huge bearhug. "I was so worried!"

Kurt's thin body was shaking intensely. "Get off!" he half whispered half begged.

Blaine gasped and pulled away. "I'm sorry! Did I hurt you?" he reached for his boyfriend's hand in desperation only to find that he had pulled it away.

"Don't touch me!" Kurt repeated, desperately, ignoring the searing pair through his body and he pushed his knees into his chest at a sitting position.

Artie, Sam, Rachel, and Mercedes had wide eyes, and left immediately to get a nurse.

"What's going on?" Blaine thought with pure panic tracing his mind.

The nurse rushed into the room, standing in front of Kurt with a gentle expression. "Honey, you need to calm down and lay back."

Kurt only stared at her with wide eyes, trembling with fear. The heart monitor went off rapidly, only adding the the hectic environment in the room.

Blaine backed out into the hallway completely terrified of what was happening before him.

Once in the hallway, Blaine ran his fingers through his curly 'fro and watched what was happening through the window. This isn't Kurt. This isn't him.