Chapter 8: Unexpected Defense(Part 2)

I woke up in the cold dirt of the battlefield.

   I feel dizzy. My head hurts. I tried to get up. I saw my step-brother battling the officer with his metal glove with his high-frequency edged katana.

   The officer tried to punch him with the glove, producing a explosive shockwave, moving parts of the earth away to his direction. But my step-brother moved out of the way and sliced the enemy's head and his left hand clean. He grabbed the big metal glove from the dead enemy's disremembered hand and he wore the glove on his right hand.

   I instinctively find my brother and I found him in the midst of dead or possibly unconscious bodies. Thankfully, my brother is unconscious.

     I called my boss to send an medical team and reinforcements to retrieve my brother and the possibly unconscious bodies at the 5th blast door. I tell him that the 5th blast door is cleared and secured.

   I walked to my step-brother. I decided to have a conversation with him because all of the enemies in our area are either dead or had ran away.

"Yo step-bro, nice glove." I joked."May I ask a question?"

He nodded.

"How long do you work here?" I asked.

"10 years."he answered.

"When me and our younger brother graduated from the Philippine Military Academy?"

"Yes. Why did you work as a mercenary?"

"For the money." I answered. "Why did you became a soldier? You said that you want to write stories for a living."

"Because, I want to protect our brother."

"You always protected your little brother ever since you two were orphaned by my father."

"Yeah, because he is my only family aside from you, since my parents died in a terrorist attack long 16 years ago."

The medical team and reinforcements arrived. The medical team retrieved the unconscious bodies including my brother. Then a salvo of missiles and artillery shells hit the mountain simultaneously.

My boss called me.

"Grim Reaper, you and Great Shark together with your reinforcements infiltrate the artillery group at the highway and the supermarket and in the gas station."

  I forgot that we have new code-names now. The call signs are corny enough that I almost made myself puke. Maybe its one of the Boss' shenanigans.

  I rallied the troops to move to the highway stealthily.

   We crawled the harsh cold ground in the midst of the snowy forest.

   We stopped and hid at a thick line of bushes. To the front is a group of self-propelled artillery trucks at the highway. I ordered them to place explosives on all the artillery.

    They followed, crawling and crouching stealthily, placing sticky, plastic explosive under enemy equipment.
Then they come back to the forest where we are hiding.

"Detonate the explosives."

"Yes sir!"

   The artillery trucks exploded. We moved to the gas station where the last group of artillery trucks had parked. 

    There are enemy mercenaries and robots with weapons guarding the artillery trucks at the gas station. We hid at the back of the store. I ordered them again to place explosives on all the artillery trucks and avoid getting caught. They followed the order efficiently and they returned to the back of the store. Then we go back to the forest stealthily so no one could see us.

"Detonate the explosives."

"But there are civilians inside." One of them reported.

"Do it. That's an order."

"Yes sir." He said weakly.

    The artillery trucks and the gas station exploded with the personnel and sentry robots guarding it. It exploded with a fiery inferno. One man, who survived the explosion ran out from the flames and continued to burn, until he tripped on one of the debris.

   The place had been reduced to burning pieces of scrap metal and bodies reduced to sacks of burning flesh. We tread down the path on the middle of the forest. The forest is full of signs of a battle; dead bodies, bullet holes, etc. Then we arrived at the 5th entrance of the bunker.

   We traveled in the inside of the bunker. We passed the destroyed cafeteria door. As we walked to the doors of the corridor, we saw medical personnel rushing to the bunker's hospital area with hospital beds.

   The beds were full of bloodied injured people and the blankets are full of blood. Some of the injured people are screaming in pain. I accidentally stepped on a bloody dismembered hand.

I backed away in surprise.

"Whats wrong?"

"Nothing, just a hand."

   They saw the dismembered hand I recently stepped on. One of the mercenaries screamed in surprise. Then he kicked the dismembered hand away. Thankfully the screams of the injured drowned his scream. We trod down the corridor then we saw the elevator.

    The screen beside the elevator indicated that the elevator is out of order. We decided to walk up the stairs full of dead bodies. Then we arrived at the entrance of the War-Room. The door is missing and the window were broken.

   Two bodies were sprawled on the top of the broken glass on the broken window. We entered the War-Room. The wall is full of bullet holes and blood. The floor is full of dead bodies. The Colonel is holding a bloodied combat axe while my boss holds an assault rifle.

" The mission is complete, boss."

" Good. Rest now, I can tell you are all tired. You missed all the action."

"Finally!!" one of the mercenaries shouted.

"Thank you boss!"all of the mercenaries cheered.

"Drinks on me!" One of them, cheered.

Then they left noisily except me and step-brother.

"Thank you boss." we said.

  We left the room and we got to our own rooms.

Vote if you like this chapter! It helps a lot!