Chapter 23: Last Stand

Later, our artillery pieces fired devastating salvos at the ferocious enemy. The shells devastated militia. Some of their vehicles were destroyed. Even if they have been bombarded by artillery, they still kept charging at us.

  The sniper teams at the rooftops started firing at them. Some of the militia took cover while most of them still charged at us.

    The vehicles earlier started to engage the militia with all their firepower, but the militia's overwhelming numbers overwhelmed and destroyed them with their tanks and rocket launchers.

   They charged more closely to the fortified town, as if no ones stopping them.

    As the howitzers cant reach them, because they are too close for the howitzers to fire at them.

     The numerous mortar teams in the town started bombarding them. Many of them were devastated; some of the militia's vehicles were devastated, But they still kept coming even with their injuries.

    Holy shit, they are like mindless zombies.

       My brother started shooting them with his payload rifle. Its amazing when you see your naive brother shoot accurately without a scope, because even as a soldier I have average aim, so I excelled in knives,CQB and shooting with a shotgun.

     When my brother shoots, he destroyed all of the vehicles and the people in the militia.

     As the militia charged more closer, the mercenaries in their posts started firing at them. Some of them took cover, others ran away, and some still fought the mercenaries.

     I zoomed in on the militia, I saw a rebel with a machine gun, spraying bullets on our mercenaries taking cover. The rebel has blood soaked on his clothes, the smile of his face looked maniacal, and his eyes are blood red.

   Another rebel, armed with only a wooden stick, charged at a squad of mercenaries. The rebel was shot instantly.

    He had the same expression as the other one. I scanned the remaining horde and they have the same blood soaked clothes, maniacal smile and blood red eyes.

   Holy fuck, they even looked like zombies.

     The horde shot at the mercenaries, in turn the mercenaries fought back. But the mercenaries were defeated. Some of the mercenaries ran back to the town's fortified gate. But the other mercenaries cant let them in, for fear of letting the enemy in.

     In turn, the militia shot the mercenaries to death. As if that wasn't enough, they slaughtered and ate the dead corpses, while the mercenaries at the guard towers shot at them. One of the mercenaries guarding the gate tried to ran away, but the squad's commanding officer stopped him with a taser.

Holy shit,they even act like zombies.

   My brother puked. The puke fell out of the rooftop, and dropped on the ground.

"Are you okay bro?" I asked.

"Yeah. Don't worry." he reassured. He definitely doesn't look ok. Viscous bile still drips on his chin. He wiped it off  with his left hand.

    The mercenaries set up sandbags, Hesco bastions, and barbed wire lined up at the gate. They ran into the position and pointed the weapons at the gate behind the fortifications, in case the frenzied militia came in.

    One of the mercenaries got shot while fighting them from the guard tower. The gates were shaking.Many of the militia tried to climb the walls and the gates, but they got stuck in the barbed wire.

    Later, me, my brother on the hospital rooftops and all of the mercenaries are fighting the militia at the other side of the gates. The gates were bouncing forwards and backwards uncontrollably; threatening to break anytime soon.

    The militia's bodies were piled on the barbed wire. Then, they climbed on the pile of bodies on the barbed wire and they fell on the ground. The militia charged at the mercenaries but they are shot instantly.

    The gate started bending at the weight of the seemingly mindless, climbing militia. The gate tumbled, making the climbing militiamen collapse like a wave.

    The mercenaries shot them with a salvo of bullets on the pile, but they got up quickly and the enemy charged and shot at them.

    Some of the soldiers ran away in fear; the officer tried to stop them but he got shot by the rebels. The mercenaries were overwhelmed and slaughtered by the enemy.

    The enemy created chaos in the area by destroying and burning everything to the ground. Other mercenaries tried to retreat, but they got slaughtered and eaten by the cannibalistic enemies.

   Mortar bombs rained at them, but they still kept charging.

    The mortar team kept bombing them until they have been overrun. They have spread across the small town, destroying everything in sight. The familiar popping distant sound of gunfire and screams of terror and suffering filled the air.

   The town is burning, and we are burning with it.

This is our last stand.

Vote if you like this chapter! It helps a lot!