Chapter 1- Beginning

"Rey! Pay attention! This is important information." Luke snapped for the third time during just this lesson. I had drifted off into space again.

"Sorry master, I was just-"

"Just what, Rey?! I have agreed to train you, and only you. The least you can do is show a little interest." He stood from his position on the boulder in front of me and looked upon me with disappointment.

I looked up at him in defiance. "And why is that? Why won't you take on anymore pupils?!" My obedience to the old man was cracking.

"You know why." He warned his eyes narrowing down at me.

I dodged his sad gaze as I looked away and glared out at the sea that enveloped our island.

"We've been at this for days now." I growled still refusing to look at him.

"It's necessary to be an efficacious Jedi-" He started, but I looked back at him and cut him off.

"I want you to teach me combat! Not more history about Jedi from long ago. Who cares about them? They're dead. We should be trying to save the people alive today! And we can't even begin to do that until Kylo Ren is dead." I struggled to keep myself from shouting at my Master, but it wasn't working.

"I hope only that hearing the failures of Jedi before you will assist you in your decisions for the future. That you will perhaps never fall to the darkside as Ben- Kylo Ren did." He said evenly, but I saw the pain flash in his eyes and my anger broke.

"I'm sorry master, I was out of place." I muttered as I looked away and down at my lap. My opinion had not changed in the slightest, but I wasn't going to fight the old man for it.

"I know it's tiresome, Rey, but I only do what is in the best interest of you." He uttered softly which was followed by a short silence as I sensed the conflict within him. Finally he sighed, "If you wish to begin combat training, you will have to construct your own lightsaber."

My head snapped up as I gawked at him. I hadn't expected it to be that easy.

Luke smiled at me slightly, "Don't act so surprised, I'm not cruel you know."

I wiped the look of shock off my face as I grinned at him widely. Suddenly I was on my feet and hugging the old man who smelled of earth.

No, he was a lot of things, but cruel was not one of them. A month of living with this man and I felt as if I knew him pretty well. He isn't the father figure that I would have obtained from Han, but he was close to family just the same.

"Rey? Are you alright?" I heard him ask by my ear, but he didn't push me away.

I released him enough to look at him and I nodded, smiling. I was going to get to make my own lightsaber!

My excitement was apparent as I plopped back down on my bolder and looked up at Luke expectantly. I would have to sit through his lessons now.

He looked at me with amusement in his eyes as he waved his hand dismissively. "Go on, go have fun. There's been enough of a history lesson today." He said as he smiled softly.

"Really? Great!" I immediately hopped up and started away, but Luke's voice followed after me persistently.

"You will, of course, read over the lightsaber construction text before the day is out. You must be prepared to find your crystal tomorrow."

I rolled my eyes, but stayed quiet because I was still getting what I wanted. Preparation to eradicate Kylo Ren.