Chapter 17

My heart stopped beating for a moment and my brain turned off. Seeing his soft and beautiful face broken made me feel terrible. What did I do? Was it my fault?

For a short moment I just stood in front of him and couldn't say or do something because I had no clue what was going on. I watched his tear slowly moving down his cheek and could metaphorical see myself in it.

"Please don't," I said when I finally got pulled out of my thoughts.

I dried his wet cheek with my thumb and looked into his glassy eyes.

"I am here, next to you and I won't move." My voice was shaky while I whispered.

His words effected me for some reasons and I had to fight against my tears. Mike looked into my eyes and seemed to notice that it was hard for me to handle with his sudden emotions so he stretched out his arms and hugged me.

For a long time we just stood in the middle of the room hugging each other without talking. My head was on his chest and I could hear his heartbeat which seemed to get slower after every beat.

The evening with Mike was actually pretty nice after the bad start. For a while we just sat in front of the chimney and talked. It was the first time we really talked and not just me. I finally had the feeling that I really know who I was talking to. Mike, a funny and adorable 18 year-old boy who loved to read in the evening, a boy who worked in a bakery for a short time and a boy who made me laugh for multiple times.

"Do you listen to a special music artist?" I asked and was absorbed into the fire.

"Coldplay is amazing, I listen to their music all the time," he answered when my eyes went up to him.

"Wait," I said and narrowed my eyes to slits while one song suddenly came up to mind. "I used to rule the world-"

"Seas would rise when I gave the world,"Mike finished and continued singing along without realizing my shocked face.

His voice was so beautiful and he sang with so much self-confidence like it was nothing special for him and I definitely didn't expect that. Mike abrupt stopped when he gave me a glance and saw my surprising face. His face suddenly turned from a happy and self-confident into a uncertain and worried face.

"Would you like to drink something?" Mike said after a few seconds of silence and stood up.

I grabbed his arm and pulled me up. "That's all you can say after this?"

"After what?" he said and coughed.

"You just sang like it wasn't something special for you and made those beautiful sounds!" I said and still was excited about it. "Why didn't you tell me about your talent?" 

"Because there is no talent, so what about a drink now?" he said and tried to avoid eye contact for some reasons.

"Are you kidding? Don't be so shy it was amazing!"

"I am not shy okay! I can't sing and we will keep it like that!" Mike screamed and now he did have eye contact with me like I never had eye contact before.

I startled and walked a step back from him. My excitement suddenly turned into anxiety.

"I am sorry. It's just-" his words sounded even more fearfully like I was when he startled because of a noise in the house.

"We are back honey," a voice said which seemed to come from the front door.

Suddenly Mike ran over to the sofa, grabbed my jacket and pressed it into my hands. "You need to go, I am sorry." He pushed me over to the patio door and really chucked me out on his ear. I just wanted to reply when I already stood there.

Alone on his patio watching back through the window where he drew the curtains.