Chapter 5

When they were five moons old, they got some company. Flowerfur gave birth to some kits, but there was a mishap.

Silverkit saw Mooncloud, the whitish-grayish-creamish medicine cat trying to comfort her, and she sat to watch with wide, scared eyes.

"Flowerfur, bite down on this." Mooncloud told her, handing her a stick with his jaws. "The kits are coming, it won't be long."

Flowerfur nodded gratefully, but that was all she could do.

"You're doing just fine, Flowerfur." Mooncloud said. "It'll be over soon."

"There's going to be three of them." He announced, after feeling Flowerfur's swollen belly.

Silverkit was tired, and couldn't stand to watch her clanmate in pain, and turned away. No other cats were there, they were either hunting or on patrol. All the other kits and queens in the nursery were with Flowerfur.

Then, Silverkit heard tiny mewling. She turned back around, and saw two kits nestled at Flowerfur's belly. They were two males; an orange one, and a gray one. Where was the third? Flowerfur was getting tired. She stopped licking her kits, and lay down, panting. Mooncloud started licking them for her, but then couldn't assist Flowerfur.

"Dawntail, lick these kits. Have your kits help if you need to." He called to her.

"Silverkit, Stormkit, Scarkit, come here, I need some help." Dawntail said. Scarkit didn't move. He stared on with a blank look of boredom.

"Me?" Silverkit gasped. "What?"

"Just keep them warm. As soon as the last kit comes out, lick it too." Mooncloud said, his back to the three of them.

Dawntail started licking the orange kit, and Stormkit started licking the gray kit. Meanwhile, Mooncloud soothed Flowerfur. "You're almost done."

Flowerfur screeched, and Mooncloud nipped a third kit from the nest so it could breathe. "Silverkit, lick it!" Mooncloud ordered, motioning to the tiny white kit.

She raced over to it, and licked it hard. "It's not breathing..." She warned.

"No..." Flowerfur muttered. Silverkit licked the kit harder.

Then... "It's too cold." She said. She began to lick the shivering kit's fur backwards. She remembered back when she had been lost in the cold. Her mother used to lick her fur backwards to keep her warm, before her eyes had ever opened.

"Mew!" The kit cried, and Silverkit tenderly guided it over to its mother. It touched her heart, to see such a fragile life kneading so strongly. The tiny white-and-cream-colored kit joined its brothers.

"Well done." Mooncloud said. "I'm going to go out to fetch more herbs, because it looks like Flowerfur will need them. Go find me if there's trouble."