Chapter 31

It was a slow recovery for the camp. No Thunderclan cats had been killed in the battle except for Snowfoot and Thistlestar, but Goldenrock was badly wounded. It was a bit scary, knowing that the deputy was so badly hurt while the leader was on his last life.

Silverpaw spent every waking moment either hunting or repairing the dens. She often caught Oakstar looking at her with interest. Silverpaw always pretended to not notice, but it seemed Scarpaw and Stormpaw noticed it too.

"Leader's pet." Scarpaw taunted one day as they did the bedding in the apprentice den. "Deadpaw gets to save the leader's life once, and gets so much glory. Any cat could have done that! A kit could have!"

"Leave her alone, Scarpaw." Stormpaw said. "Unless you can defeat Darkpelt in battle, you couldn't have saved Oakstar's life."

"It's Darkstar now." Silverpaw said with a sigh. "He hates me! If I know him, he's going to do everything in his power to kill me. And if he gets to do it himself, it'll just please him more."

"As long as I don't get hurt, I don't care." Scarpaw snarled. "It's not my problem."

"The problem is," Stormpaw said angrily, "The whole of Thunderclan was in danger, and still is, because of something Silverpaw didn't do. If we're lucky, we can take him out on a border patrol. If not, then it will definitely become your problem too."

"It's all my fault!" Silverpaw moaned.

"Finally, someone said it." Scarpaw scowled.

Silverpaw whirled around. "Scarpaw, I'll have you know that if you ever almost die twice, nearly kill a clan deputy, and get lied about by your enemy in order for them to have you dead, I'll look at you with respect. Until then, Thunderclan needs all the help it can get, and we can't afford to have quarrels in the clan."

There was a pause in which Scarpaw rolled his eyes, but even he could find fault with that. He spat on the ground at her paws and walked away with his tail in the air.

"At least we now have Windclan and Riverclan on our side." Stormpaw commented. "They might help us fight Shadowclan."

"They're not really on our side," Silverpaw reminded him, "not completely. They still think I tried to kill Darkstar. And he will stop at nothing until I'm dead."

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the Thunderrock for a clan meeting!" Oakstar yowled from the Thunderrock.

Silverpaw silently padded to the base of the rock, wondering what jobs Oakstar wanted them to do this time.

"Silverpaw, step forward." The leader yowled.

Shae gasped. Either he wanted to find her a new mentor, or wanted to make her a warrior. She nervously padded to Oakstar's side, who had just jumped down from the top of Thunderrock.

"Silverpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this clan, even at the cost of your life?" He asked.

Silverpaw's eyes sparkled in the moonlight. "I do." This was it-- she was at her naming ceremony! She was going to become a warrior!

"Then by the power of Starclan, I give you your warrior name. Silverpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Silverflame." Oakstar exchanged glanced with Mooncloud, and she immediately knew that her leader had named her after the prophecy.

"Starclan honors your bravery and loyalty, and we welcome you as a full warrior of Thunderclan." He touched his muzzle to her head and murmured, "I am glad to have you in this clan."

Silverflame licked Oakstar's shoulder, as ceremony went, and sat up to gaze back at her clan.

"Silverflame! Silverflame! Silverflame!" They all chanted enthusiastically, all except Scarpaw and Blackclaw. But Silverflame shrugged it off, because not even Scarpaw could ruin that moment for her right then.

"In the tradition of our ancestors, Silverflame will keep a silent vigil until dawn, and guard the camp while we sleep." Oakstar finished. Silverflame dipped her head gratefully, and padded into the center of the clearing as the rest of the clan filed into the dens.

"Great job, Silverflame." Stormpaw said as he brushed past her. Silverflame, not allowed to speak until dawn as part of clan tradition, gave a thankful nod and an affectionate nudge. She could tell Stormpaw was trying his hardest to be congratulating, but she could tell a hint of jealousy burned beneath him.

It was almost moonhigh when her vigil began, so she only had to guard the camp for half of a night. It was very peaceful and quiet, and she felt reassured by the scent of her clanmates sleeping soundly.

That's when she looked up to the stars and thought of Starclan, and how Firestar had warned Silverflame about the danger of the meeting.

She opened her mouth to whisper something, but closed it, remembering her vigil. Instead, she thought; 'Thanks, Firestar.'

She almost thought she saw a star twinkle at her, and whether it was her imagination or not, she never found out.