Chapter 12

That night, Silverpaw was very excited. The next day at that time, she'd be at a gathering! Her excitement held back sleep for a while, even as her clanmates fell fast asleep. She listened to the crickets and owls, but sleep still wouldn't come. At moonhigh, no matter how hard she tried, Silverpaw couldn't sleep, so she left the medicine den to look at the sky, hoping that might settle her mind.

But, as she looked up at the starry sky, her thoughts changed from the gathering to Firestar's prophecy. From dark shadows must come forth a flaming light from which Thunderclan will be saved.

She thought about it for a while. It made her six-moon-old head spin just to think so hard. Why did prophecies have to be so vague? Then, the constant question throbbed in the back of her mind, Was the prophecy even real?

As Silverpaw headed back to her nest that night, still not tired, Mooncloud was still fast asleep, but was having a restless dream. He twitched and muttered in his sleep, but Silverpaw couldn't make out any of his words, until he began to yowl.

"Fire!" Mooncloud hissed feebly. "The camp's gone! No, stop!"

Silverpaw twitched her whiskers in confusion.

"Help! It'll burn me!" He bolted upright.

"Are you alright, Mooncloud?" Silverpaw asked, stepping into the bush that was that was the entrance to his den.

Mooncloud jumped at the sound of her voice, He looked at her fearfully, and took a few steps back.

"Mooncloud, are you ok?" Silverpaw repeated, taking a few steps forward. "It's me, Silverpaw."

To Silverpaw's surprise, Mooncloud trembled, terrified, as he crouched on the ground. "Get back!" He yowled. "Don't touch me!"

Silverpaw crawled backwards to her nest, he ears against her head. Mooncloud dashed past her, racing to Oakstar's den. He gave her a wide berth, and Silverpaw began to wonder what just happened.

He talked about fire... that must have come at him because... Silverpaw nearly jumped in excitement. He had seen her vision! He could help her understand it! But that didn't explain his behavior.

Then, a disturbing thought nagged her. He was afraid of the fire. What if he never found out that when it touched you, it wasn't bad? He thinks it destroyed the camp, then tried to kill him. The more she thought about it, the more dread that pooled in her stomach, the more his reaction made sense. Mooncloud had woken up just before the flames hit him. He had cried out in terror. If he acted afraid in front of her, did that mean he thought she was the power behind the silver flames?

But then, at that moment, Mooncloud dashed back into the den, and Silverpaw pretended to be asleep. She could still tell that Mooncloud crept past her cautiously before settling in his nest.

Then, as she tried to fall asleep, she could feel his scorching gaze on her, piercing her pelt. Mooncloud lay with his paws tucked in, glaring at her from the other side of the camp. She shivered. Mooncloud jumped. She knew it wasn't good to have the clan medicine cat against her. But, her last thought bothered her most; 'But what if he's right, and I really am bad?'

"Glad to have you back, Silverpaw."

Silverpaw was in the elders den. She had woken early after a restless night, and went to get her usual apprentice duties done before Mooncloud could wake up. She didn't like the way he had looked at her last night.

Luckily, the elders didn't have many ticks, so she finished quick enough to fetch fresh moss. She decided to check some of the other dens to see if they needed to be cleaned too.