Chapter 27

It was nearly moonhigh by the time Thunderclan arrived, they were the last. Silverpaw overheard from some Shadowclan warriors. "I can't believe Thistlestar could lose a life already..."

"Yes." Another replied. "Another unfortunate bout of Blackhead."

Silverpaw was a bit alarmed for a second. Blackhead was even deadlier than Greencough, and because it didn't appear until the recent generation, there was no cure.

It made a cat go insane, and it did something to their brain while they had it, and the permanent effects, considering you survived it, differed from cat to cat. Some could only speak backwards, some lost some of their senses, and some became easily angered, or saw constant hallucinations. Most lose some of their memories. Some memories become more prominent.

'Maybe that means they won't attack.' Silverpaw thought hopefully, trying to put a bright spin on it. 'Maybe it made him forget about his hatred to Thunderclan, and that's why they didn't bother with overdone patrols!' Even though it was a bit of a stretch, the option seemed possible.

Just then, Thistlestar yowled for the gathering to begin. "I shall begin." He announced. "Shadowclan has had a wonderful moon. The prey is running, the wind is fresh, and we'd like to apologize for any issues we may have given Thunderclan over that silly border skirmish."

'Wow-- Blackhead did more to him than I could've thought.' Silverpaw thought. 'He apologized! Maybe now we can...'

"But I cannot deny the new problem that has arisen!" Thistlestar continued, breaking into her thoughts. The Shadowclan leader pretended to be lost in thought. "We lost five kits. Not to sickness or hunger. Oh, it was never meant to happen-- they broke into the camp so viciously..."

"Badger, I knew it!" Speedstar said suddenly. "We've been getting scents of it along the border. I'm so sorry we didn't warn you in time!"

"No!" Thistlestar yowled. "It was no creature. Those five innocent kits were killed by a cat!"

The clans gasped. "My very own kits, and that cat decides to take revenge on me..." He said, trailing off. The gathered cats began to become angry at who could do such a thing. Thunderclan, suspicious, held their breath.

Oakstar seemed confused. "You never mentioned any kits in the last gather..."

"It was even a clan cat!" Thistlestar interrupted. "Such treachery should not be concealed!" The clans gasped and started yowling and meowing so loud, Thistlestar had to wait until it was once again silent.

By now, all the cats were looking around accusingly. "We'll rip their fur off!" Some cat yowled. "How dare they kill innocent kits!" Came another. "Thistlestar, what cat did this?!" Yowled a final one.

"The cat who did this, is here at the gathering." Thistlestar responded. Each cat looked at one another, trying to guess who it was.

Thistlestar jumped down from Tallrocks, padding through the Thunderclan crowd. 'What a surprise.' Silverpaw thought sarcastically. Then, he stopped right in front of Snowfoot and Silverpaw.

"These two."