Chapter 20

Scarpaw indeed had made a new story. "Stormpaw retracted his claws on me, and so I had to too if I wanted to save my life!" He 'explained' to Blackclaw. "Then, when I had Stormpaw pinned, Silverpaw leapt on me and tried to kill me! And when she was just about to finish me off, Mousepelt told her not too, and told me to walk to camp myself with the injuries I had gotten! She said if I didn't, she's have Silverpaw carry me back, and I knew she'd only finish the job!"

"How dare she?!" Blackclaw exclaimed. They were inside the medicine den, with Mooncloud by his side. "Mousepelt is not a suitable trainer! And that Silverpaw is too dangerous!"

"She is." Mooncloud agreed. Blackclaw looked very surprised to have his support. "She needs to leave." Scarpaw and Blackclaw's whiskers twitched in surprise. Did that really just come from a medicine cat?

Silverpaw, who had hidden just outside the entrance of the medicine den, waited nervously.

"I agree." Scarpaw cried. "She almost killed me!"

Don't tell them about the prophecy... Silverpaw thought, afraid of what it could mean if they knew. Don't tell them about the prophecy...

"She's far too dangerous. Starclan themselves told me." Mooncloud said, his voice darkening.

Mousebile! Silverpaw cursed in dismay.

"Starclan sent me a dream that she destroyed Thunderclan. The territory, the cats, the camp, everything." Mooncloud explained. "She swept across the land like fire... And right now she is only a spark. She must be snuffed out before it takes hold." He said darkly.

Seriously? Can you be any more thick-headed? Silverpaw thought. She knew they were talking about how much they hated her...and probably wanted her to die...it was really ridiculous. She didn't think anycat could be any more thick-headed than Blackclaw of all warriors.

"Then what do we do?" Scarpaw asked, pretending to be afraid, enjoying every second of it.

"I'm not sure." Mooncloud said. "Just don't get caught. And keep your ears open for ideas."

"How can Oakstar now take this seriously?" Blackclaw snarled. "Maybe he's in alliance with her..."

"No." Mooncloud said decisively. "When the flames appeared, the Oak trees had already been destroyed."

The other two gasped. "So that means," Blackclaw realized, "That's she's going to try to take out Oakstar! Why haven't you warned him?!"

"I did!" Mooncloud pretested. "He didn't listen!"

"This is simple." Scarpaw snapped. "She can't destroy Thunderclan unless she's leader, and she's got her whole life to make it that far. She's going to try to become deputy and take over, so her first target will be Goldenrock." Scarpaw couldn't think of anything more threatening to accuse her of. There weren't any rouges around the area for her to team up with...

"Just what I was thinking." Blackclaw put in, giving Scarpaw a serious look.

"So should she become deputy, we take her out." Mooncloud schemed. "This shouldn't be too hard between the three of us. Until then, still do your best to save the clan without being too noticeable."

Well, at least you're plotting my death with the safety of the clan in mind... Silverpaw thought. Had to give them some credit for that. But with that, Blackclaw stirred as if he would leave, and Silverpaw fled to the apprentice's den, hoping the hadn't heard her.