Chapter 30

Silverpaw shuddered. Such a young leader was down to three lives, and only two if the Shadowclan rumors from the gathering were true. 'If two Shadowclan cats can do this, what can a whole clan plus two more do?' Silverpaw thought. "We need to get back to camp!" She said decisively, "And preferably before he wakes up." She said, waving her tail at Thistlestar.

Oakstar and Silverpaw immediately dashed to the Thunderclan camp, and it was during the run that Silverpaw realized she didn't feel so injured anymore. She felt sore, and was still bleeding in multiple places, but it didn't hurt as much, and she felt overpowered by adrenalin. She felt like that was all she was running on though; the little energy that came from the prospect of saving her clan.

By the time they arrived, there was no point in entering through the fern tunnel, because the walls and dens of the Thunderclan camp had been completely flattened. Immediately, it was obvious that the double-attack training had not been wasted, because there was only two clans worth of cats attacking the Thunderclan defenders.

Oakstar yowled and leapt into battle without any forethought or hesitation, while Silverpaw chose carefully where she should help first. Dawntail was in a tangle with Grasspelt and Creekpelt, Duststorm was defending the nursery from Pinefur and Nightthroat, and Mooncloud was locked in a tussle with Robinfeather.

Silverpaw realized that it was the Shadowclan cats that were attacking the elders, medicine cat, apprentices, and nursery, not Riverclan or Windclan. She was just going to assist Redfur in battling three Riverclan warriors at once, when she saw Stormpaw cornered by Fangtooth, Rockpelt, and Clawfur, three Shadowclan cats.

"So, you're friends with Silverpaw, aren't you?" Fangtooth taunted. "One of your clanmates told me you were especially close to her."

"What's wrong with that?" Stormpaw replied bravely.

"Except for the fact we want her dead along with her mentor, nothing." Clawfur hissed.

"Wait, what do you mean by 'were' friends with her?" Stormpaw asked nervously.

"Did you notice she wasn't here?" Rockpelt said, pleased to be the one to give him the news. "We already killed her. Left her behind at the ambush for Oakstar."

"What? No..." Stormpaw cried. "You're lying..."

"Going to cry about losing your new mate?" Fangtooth taunted. "Well, we'll make a deal with you; we can kill you now, and you can go join her in Starclan."

"Back off!" Silverpaw yowled, jumping in between Stormpaw and the Shadowclan warriors. "Your fight is with me, not him!"

"Silverpaw!" Stormpaw exclaimed. "You're okay!"

"And Oakstar is too!" Silverpaw replied. "Or at least he was a moment ago!"

The attackers were pleasantly surprised, and Rockpelt muttered, "Darkpelt's next deputyship is mine!"

"Not a chance, I'll kill her first!" Clawfur said, leaping at her.

"If I bring her to him nearly dead, he'll make me the next deputy!" Fangtooth snarled as he swiped across her face.

As the Shadowclan cats competed to be the first to kill her, Silverpaw struggled to dodge their blows. They didn't make any moves to make her injured; they made moves to make her die.

Stormpaw jumped in to help, but only succeeded in distracting Rockpelt. Silverpaw thought back to training, where Redfur recommended angering one of the two opponents to make them fight one another as a last resort.

Silverpaw turned to swipe Clawfur in the face, but missed and hit his ear instead. It left an ugly tear, and half of Clawfur's ear fell to the ground. "You are so dead!" He yowled and lunged at her. She sidestepped, and he crashed into Fangtooth, and they both fell into a dazed heap.