Chapter 10

Silverpaw was filled with joy. Firestar was going to help her get back to Thunderclan! She could go back home! Maybe! But still! She gave a big jump of excitement and yowled loudly; "Get me back! Get me home!"

Suddenly, the two cats froze; because, under her, Silverpaw's body had twitched, and given a small mew. In the camp, the only cat who noticed was Stormpaw, because the only other warrior at her side was Snowfoot, who had fallen asleep from exhaustion.

"Well, I was going to say that I still wasn't sure how to get you back, but... Silverpaw, do that again." Firestar said, looking at her body suspiciously.

Silverpaw jumped, still never leaving her body, and tensed her muscles, and her body twitched. Then, she yowled loudly; "Thunderclan!" And her body gave a feeble mew.

Stormpaw tensed, then figured the mew must've been from someone else, but put his ear to her body's heart. "Is that..." He whispered aloud, the only one awake. "I thought I heard a beat... it's gone..."

Firestar padded over to Silverpaw's body, and put his paw in it. "You've got an extremely slow heartbeat." He stated, "But you're still warm, and still breathing."

Silverpaw stared at him, confused. "This makes no sense." She said.

"This must be part dying, part dream." Firestar muttered. "So we...just have to...wake you up."

"But not outside my body, right?" Silverpaw asked.

"That would be bad." He replied, "So yes, inside of your body." They thought for a moment in silence. "Then again, if it doesn't work, you could die and then never reach Starclan..."

Silverpaw gulped.

"So we'll hope for the best. You just need to fall asleep in the same position your body is in." Firestar said. "At least I think so... I hope this works."

Silverpaw had heard the instructions, and examined her body's position. As she lay down, she was so close to her body, that she (her body) twitched, and because Stormpaw had been watching, he jumped three foxlengths in the air, fur on end, and squealed like a kit. Stormpaw, ashamed someone might've actually been awake and noticed, gave his chest a brief lick and continued the vigil.

Firestar padded over, and his whiskers twitched in amusement after watching Stormpaw. "If that were Ravenpaw, the whole camp would be awake by now." He meowed, giving a slight snort of laughter at his own joke. Who's Ravenpaw? Silverpaw wondered.

She took a deep breath, wondering what was going to happen next. Silverpaw hesitated, though she was not sure why, and Firestar insisted, "Go on. You're not going to die from this fight." He reassured.

Silverpaw closed her eyes, and fell asleep immediately from exhaustion.