Chapter 9

When Silverpaw opened her eyes, she saw Mooncloud leaning over her, and she was in the center of the camp. When she blinked, he made absolutely no indication that he noticed, as if he couldn't see her, or she wasn't even there. Suddenly, Mooncloud began to panic; "I don't feel a heartbeat!" He cried. Snowfoot dashed to his side, panting, and was silent for a moment. Her mentor looked down at her closely, and slowly drew her head back in despair. "Sh-She-She's gone..." Snowfoot stammered.

Silverpaw didn't understand. She wasn't dead! She was right there! It was already moonset, and Snowfoot, Stormpaw, and many other clanmates went by her as if for a vigil. Silverpaw jumped up, wondering how they couldn't notice her. Even as she moved, the cats showed no reaction.

"Hey!" She yowled. "What's going on?"

"They can't hear you." Said a flame-colored tabby from across the clearing. "Or see you for that matter."

Silverpaw was just about to attempt to chase the intruder out of her camp, when she realized he smelled like Thunderclan. But she had never ever seen this tabby before. Suddenly, with a jump of surprise, she noticed that her fur and body was slightly transparent, with her battered body lying underneath her.

"What's going on?" Silverpaw repeated. "W-Who are you?"

"I am Firestar." The cat replied.

Silverpaw gasped. She knew who he was! The great Thunderclan legend that saved all of the clans from destruction! The one who used to be a kittypet, but turned into the greatest warrior the clans had ever seen! "But you're...and if I'm here...am I dead?" She muttered, confused.

"Silverpaw, don't worry. You're not dead." He replied. "Yet."

"What do you mean?" Silverpaw asked, confused.

"What I mean," Firestar said, "Is that we must act quickly. You were nearly killed, and there is still a chance you might not have to join Starclan Yet."

"How?!" Silverpaw exclaimed. "I can't go to Starclan yet! I'm barely even an apprentice!"

"I've never done it before." Firestar admitted. "But I do know that you're not quite dead yet, though you are close."

Silverpaw padded forward to see Firestar, but the farther she got from her body, the more she felt something holding her back, as if gravity was centered in the middle of that night's vigil. She strained to get any distance between her and her body.

"Don't do that!" Firestar warned. "Don't stop touching your body!"

Silverpaw, whose single hind paw was still touching, backed up. She sat on the place in the clearing where her body lay. "But what do I do?" She asked again.

"All I know is that you're not completely dead." Firestar said. "And, it's possible you can go back, but it's a very small chance."

Silverpaw turned around, seeing Snowfoot come near. "How dare he?!" She yowled. "She was six moons old! I'll kill him if I get my paws on him!"

Silverpaw slumped. "I can still hear a heartbeat!" Stormpaw suddenly exclaimed. "It's still loud and clear, it's just going so slowly..." Silverpaw, surprised, jumped up. Stormpaw listened intently for a moment. "Where'd it go...?"

Snowfoot turned to the other side of the clearing, and gave a yowl of hatred. "Anger is not a good way to communicate loss." Mooncloud said, raising an eyebrow. "You should not honor her memory with thoughts of vengeance in your mind."

Silverpaw was still on her body. "No heartbeat?" Firestar asked. Silverpaw shook her head. "Then I'm sorry. We're a bit late. It's time to go." Firestar said solemnly.

"No!" Silverpaw insisted. "I'm staying here."

"Then you'll be sitting there forever, unless you follow me now." Firestar said. "There is nothing more to be done."

Silverpaw sat down and looked to the ground. It took her a while to respond. Snowfoot, Stormpaw, the territory, her new home, all gone... "I'm coming." She said quietly. She stood up and prepared to take the step away from her body.

But, suddenly, everything around them burst to flames. Not orange and red flames, but black ones that ate up the beautiful blue sky, emitting a rolling wave of choking smoke. Silverpaw's unalarmed, unaware clanmates disappeared from sight, and the only thing she could see was thre Starclan warrior, her body below her, and black fire.

They were in the middle of the clearing. Firestar backed away from the fire line to go over by where she stood. Silverpaw could smell anxiety on him, and that made her terrified. Then, time seemed to slow down.

The black flames began to grow in size, and the heat began to scorch the cats' fur. Suddenly, the flames got a whitish hue, and the blackness was overtaken by silver. Then, the silver flames immediately advanced to overtake them. The cats prepared themselves to be burned, but the fire was not hot. It was almost cool to the touch, and it filled the air around them with warmth that reached through every muscle in their body. They felt relaxed, and hopeful.

"From dark shadows must come forth a light of silver flames from which Thunderclan will be saved..." Firestar muttered, almost to himself.

Suddenly, the flames disappeared, and they were back at the camp. Silverpaw was no good at interpreting prophecies, but Firestar suddenly seemed stressed. "We really need to get you back to Thunderclan." He said.