Chapter 7: The Dark World

Ipeeked out from behind the rock. I could barely see anything in thedarkness. My eyes started adjusting to the lack of light and Istarted creeping down the path that was laid out in black stone. Ialso noticed that the plants and the water were also black; notbecause of the darkness, they just were completely black.

Chris:"What's wrong with this place, everything is black?"

Enzon:"Instead of photosynthesis, like normal plants, these plants usethe darkness to thrive. I caution you not to remove your suit orhelmet while in this darkness as it will most likely take you over orkill you. Also; under no circumstances should you ever touch thewater here."

Chris:"Noted."

Icontinued down the path until I could make out a group of figures inthe distance. They were huge, floating creatures with spotlights foreyes. I could only see their lights and hands, I couldn't make outanything else if there was anything else.

Chris:"What the hell are those things?"

Enzon:"Those are Dark Guardians. The lights you see aren't really lights.Its a field of tiny white life forms that move with photons in theair. It appears as light to the naked eye but is actually solid. Itsdesigned to stun anything that contains light inside of it. As soonas something is captured inside it, it stuns them. After that thecreature uses its hands to-"

Chris:"Enzon, hold on a minute. Isn't that one of ours?"

Ipointed at a shady figure behind a rock just before the clearing withthe Dark Guardians. He ran out into the clearing once there was anopportunity, or so he thought. From this distance I saw anotherGuardian approach. The Guardian's "light" engulfed him. It'shands slowly traveled to the base of the light and clamped aroundhim. I heard the most blood curdling scream I had ever heard in mylife as I saw small orbs of light traveling over to the head of theGuardian; whose stun light was off.

Chris:"What the hell?!"

Enzon:"It sucks the light out of any living thing. Only two things happenonce the light is completely extracted; either the subject dies, oris turned into one of them."

Thehands retracted and the body of the human was squished, like a waterbottle that was crunched under some massive force. The body fadedaway leaving only two hands and the head, which were engulfed in somekind of dark energy, which turned them into another Guardian. Icollected my nerves from off the ground and continued down the path.I arrived at the same predicament that the last guy was in.

Chris:"Now what?"

Enzon:"You must get past them somehow."

Chris:"Can I go around?"

Enzon:"Unlikely. They are probably surrounding that castle completely."

Chris:"Wait, castle?"

Enzon:"Let me enhance your vision."