Chapter 3

Chapter 3

~Shane's POV~

Walking through the school gates made my stomach turn. I already knew this year would be like every other. Name calling. Punches. Beatings. The fun game of 'Make Shane's Life a Living Hell' played daily. I didn't want to have to deal with that. Not again.

I made my way to my usual spot by the benches. Sawyer and his group of friends never usually came round here. Only if they were looking for me. Along the way, I noticed the group of girls that sit by the trees. I liked them. Mostly because they left me alone unlike everyone else in this prison.

But today was different. There was a boy there. There's never boys with them. I studied his face carefully as I approached my bench. I recognised him after a while as the boy who looked at me on the bus. I was used to being stared at, but he looked at me differently. As if he gave a damn.

As soon as I sat down, I felt his eyes on me. I felt frozen. I wanted to turn and look back, but I couldn't. My anxiety kept me in this fixed position staring at the wood in front of me. I wanted to know him. I wanted to know why he cared so much to just stare at me. It would be easier on both of us if he just threw the punches straight away rather than just taunt me with his gazes. But why do I care? I've never cared before if people stared at me. I mean, I did, it's the reason I have so much fear of the world, but I never wanted to know them like I do with him.

My train of thought was lost as the sound of the first bell rang through the school. I felt his eyes leave me, and I rushed to get myself up and to the main hall for our welcoming assembly, that I dreaded so much. I knew Sawyer and the others would be there already to get the back corner, leaving me able to get in at the side down front out the way.

"Shane!" I heard someone yell. Automatically, my heart stopped, and fear kicked in. It was a relief to see Kate running towards me. My only friend.

"Hey" I sighed, as energetic as I could master. She walked by my side as we silently made our way to the assembly.

"Your black eye healed up then?" She asked. I looked down at her and nodded. She was the only one who knew about the hell in my life that existed outside the school gates.

"Luckily. Imagine if Sawyer or Sam knew. They'd freshen it up." I sighed deeply, hating every second of my life. I wanted to die. And a part of me hoped Sawyer would be the one to help me out.

We took our seats in the hall, watching as the other students filed in. Unfortunately, I was sat at the end of the row, exposing myself to the isle everyone would walk past. I noticed people walking up, slowly approaching us. I held my breath, expecting everyone to hit me as they went by. A few did, just for the sake of it. I could hear Shanna Malcolm on her way up. Probably to find Sawyer and make out with him on the back row. As the large black girl made her way up, I braced myself.

"Shane! Long time no see!" She yelled, hitting me hard in the shoulder. I squeezed my eyes tight shut, blocking everything out as I channeled the pain away.

I opened my eyes and saw him. I could finally get a good look at his face. And honestly, if was perfect. His bright green eyes scanned the hall, observing the rest of the school. That Meghan girl said something to him, and my stomach filled with butterflies as he flashed his smile. I hoped he'd never stop smiling. It was amazing.

I stared at the ground as his group climbed higher up the rows of seats. As he walked past me, he nudged my shoulder with his elbow. It was an obvious accident, but the pain was immense.

"I'm so sorry" he said, before continuing to following Meghan and Ingrid.

No one ever apologises to me. For anything. They just hit and go. It's almost routine. But he said sorry? Why'd he do that? No one ever does that?

Moments later, I realised I was softly smiling. For the first time in months.