Chapter 23

Chapter 23

~Shane's POV~

Even though we'd just saved Sawyer from his death with Anthony and Sam, I still felt a little nervous sitting in the same room as him. The fear that I might get hit scared me a little, despite the fact he was sat down with a bag of ice on his head, holding a bucket to his chest to throw up in. He wasn't in any fit shape to hurt me, but I was still on edge. But I had Joey sitting very close to me. That helped a lot. He wouldn't take his eyes of Sawyer in case he went for me. Aw.

"You doing okay?" I asked, almost automatically. Despite the small amount of fear inside me, it still felt like old times. Sitting with my best friend. My first crush.

"Why did you help me?" He said, glancing up at me. He looked so helpless. Dried blood was over his forehead by the cuts now bandaged up. His nose was very clearly broken, too. The nurse had gone to report his injuries to the principle.

"You may have turned into an asshole, but I didn't" I said. He sighed, and looked back down. As if he was ashamed of himself. "Why did you turn so mean?"

It took a few moments, but he did eventually answer; "I was doing you a favour."

Within seconds of him replying, Joey was out of his seat and had his hand around Sawyer's throat. For a moment, I was afraid of Joey. The look on his face was pure anger at Sawyer's comment.

"What the hell-?" Sawyer tried to say, as Joeys grip tightening around his neck.

"Joey, c'mon. Leave it" I tried to say calmly, snaking a hand around his waist to pull him back. He let go, but I still kept a slight grip on Joey. I smiled at him, hoping he would calm down. He mumbled an apology, but looked at the ground, Sawyer coughing.

I went over to Sawyer, placing a hand on his shoulder, crouching down slight to Sawyer's level. "You alright?"

"I'm sorry, Shane. I just-" he squeezed his eyes shut and took a few deep breaths before continuing. I took myself back over to the old brown bench in the corner of the room beside Joey. "-I just thought, if I beat the gay out of you, you won't turn out like my dads."

"It didn't work" Joey said, chuckling lightly as he put an arm around my back and his free hand on my knee. I blushed a little, leaning on his shoulder lightly for a few seconds. Sawyer watched us tentatively, a disappointed look as his face.

"I just wanted my best friend back" he sighed.

"Nows your chance?" I smiled. Joey looked at me, clearly unsure on this decision.

"It won't be weird will it?" Sawyer asked, looking at Joey rather than me.

"No, course it won't." I promised, smiling at him. "Just don't get my boyfriend mad" I teased, hugging Joey beside me.

Sawyer sighed again, looking down. I couldn't decide whether it was because of what we were doing, or he was gonna puke or whether it was jealousy. It saddened me seeing him like this. He was my best friend for a long time. He was my crush, I loved him. And now he's in the beat up position he would put me in every day. I should be enjoying his pain. I should be loving every second of this. But I couldn't help but feel bad for him.

"Why would you let the beatings go on though?" Joey asked randomly, pulling me from my thoughts. "Like, everyday?"

"I dunno. I get angry and I need to let it out." He said, moaning as he held his head.

"Well, next time you get angry, just call us." I offered. "We'll be your helpline"