Chapter 13

Chapter 13

~Shane's POV~

I stared at the pizza crust in my hand. The seance of defeat taking over my body. I took a final bite and knew it would be my final day before the food coma took over. A condition in which had taken over Joey after just 3 slices. I looked over at him. He was laid on the couch and I sat on the floor with the now empty pizza box. It was almost 2am.

"I did it" I moaned. Joey looked down at me chuckling.

"You ate 4 more slices than me. How did you do it?" He laughed. I smiled up at him, feeling a bit sick in the process.

"You gave me a dare and I did it! Now it's up to you. Truth or dare, Mr Graceffa?" I said.

He frowned at me. "Don't call me that again. And I'll go with, truth"

I thought for a moment, climbing into the couch and leaning onto the arm rest while I decided his question. Now could be my chance to find things out about him. But I don't want to ruin this friendship. It's perfect.

"Prettiest girl in school?" A safe question I thought. I'd googled what sort of things guys ask at sleep overs.

"Ingrid" he said after a while. A good answer. She was very pretty. But I like boys, personally. "Shane, truth or dare?" He yawned. How cute.

"Truth" I answered, a little nervously.

"Why do you have cuts on your wrists?" He said seriously. My heart fell into my stomach. Pulling my sleeves down to my knuckles I tried to think of an excuse.

Joey shuffled down so he was sat right beside me. I felt butterflies explode inside me and I just wanted to cry onto him. He took my hand, the one closest to him and pulled the sleeve down. He touched one and I winced. It was still quite fresh. I felt the first year slip down my face.

"Don't worry Shane. Crying is okay" he whispered, putting an arm around my shoulder. A leant against him, trying to hide my sobs.

"It's my dad" I manage to blurt out. "When he's drunk, he'll hit me. And my mom, and my brothers. And he just doesn't stop." I lifted my shirt up a little, showing Joey the bruises. "And when he's finished I go into my bathroom and cut my arm up. I just can't stop and I hate myself for everything."

I watched as Joey lifted my wrist to his lips. He kissed them a few times. I had to chuckle. I was so pathetic.

"Have you tried ringing any of those helplines?" He asked, still hugging me. I shook my head. "Well, next time you feel like you want to cut, call me instead. I'll be your helpline okay?" It took everything I had not to kiss him right then. I nodded and smiled, wiping away my tears.

He leaned closer to me and put both arms around me. One started rubbing my back while the other held the bottom of my neck close to his chest. I put my arms around his lower back and closed my eyes. Just inhaled everything that was just simply Joey. And in that moment, I realised I was completely, and uncontrollably in love with him.

He pulls back and so do I. It was just a friendly hug and nothing more.

"Why does Sawyer beat you up all the time? You really don't deserve any of it?" He asks so innocently. I decide immediately to just tell him the truth. He's my best friend. I know he won't do anything in response to the answer.

"Because I'm gay"

His reaction wasn't at all what I expected. He stayed straight faced, got up and left the room silently. I could feel the tears building. My first ever real best friend, and I've lost him just like that? I'm an idiot. Why would he ever want to be my friend?

He came back, and I tried to stay composed. I noticed he had a DVD in his hand, and a blanket in the other. I watched as he went over to the TV set, and inserted the DVD, picking up the remote on the way back.

He smiled at me, and pulled the blanket around us both. I smiled to myself, feeling my cheeks go red. I felt his hand snake across my back and settle on my waist. I turned and looked at him.

"Gay or not, you're my best friend. And I always want you to be. This doesn't change my opinions of you. I still think you're great, Shane" he smiled. I rested my head against his shoulder. He pressed play on the remote, starting up Titanic.

Yep. I'm definitely in love with him now.