Chapter 11

Chapter 11

~Shane's POV~

I limped my way down the corridor to special ed. My bruised body ached with every step I took. With every breath taken, my lungs struggled to go on. But I had to. I knew once I was with Joey I'd be okay.

As I trudged my way into the classroom, I realised I was almost 20 minutes late. Everyone in the room stared at me. I felt myself go red with embarrassment. You know you're low on the food chain when even the special kids are snickering at you.

As I sat myself down beside Joey, my chest began to ache a little further. I just wanted to cry. I suppose I cried last lesson in here with Joey. But I didn't want his attention today. I didn't want him in my life. He made me happy. Which my dad hated. Therefore, if I stopped letting him make me happy, I might not get hurt as much. A simple hypothesis really.

I tried to concentrate on the lesson. I'd give anything to be in regular classes like everyone else. But I can't. I'm in here. With the nicest boy I've ever met.

Miss Camborne was teaching us fractions. Or rather, pizza sections. She came round handing out sheets of paired work. She always believed in paired work. Makes the mind grow stronger apparently.

"You okay, Shane?" She asked, handing the worksheet to Joey, who instantly started filling in. I just nodded, staring at my lap feeling particularly depressed today. She sighed sadly and looked at Joey, before heading off to the other kids.

I looked at the worksheet. He'd already filled it all in correctly. I trailed my eyes up to him. He was facing me, looking worried.

"You wanna tell me what's wrong?" He asked softly. I shook my head.

"Was it Sawyer again?" He asked, his perfect green eyes staring into me. I shook my head and sighed.

"You can tell me Shane. I only want to help you." He sighed, reaching for my hand.

But then something unexpected happened. When our hands touched I felt a surge of electricity run through me. I looked up at Joey. Judging from his expression, he felt it to. But what was it?