Chapter 8

Chapter 8

~Joey's POV~

As I entered the house, I threw my rucksack onto the kitchen counter and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge. I could hear the soccer on the tv in the living room. An indication that dad was home.

"Hey Dad" I said, sitting on the couch and pulling out my phone from my back pocket.

"Hi Joey. How was school? Are Meghan's friends nice? How was your classes?" He asked, turning away from the tv to give me his attention.

"Yeah. Her best friend Ingrid was really nice. And her other friend Cat was nice. And Whitney" I smiled.

"Good. Any cute girls?" He smiled, knowing what my answer would be.

"Dad come on, you know I prefer boys" I smiled, throwing a cushion at him. He laughed at my answer, but not in a tormenting way. But in that way that a father should mock their son for not being manly enough.

"Was there any cute boys then?" He flicked through the sport channels as I thought through my day.

"Well, Luke, one of the music nerds was okay. But he's dating Ingrid. And Sawyer was pretty cute. But he's a bully. And then there's Shane" I sighed and smiled as I thought about him. His smile could be a thousand times brighter if he wasn't so anxious about everything.

"Tell me about Shane then!" He smiled, leaning forward to listen. It made me chuckle.

"He's in my special ed, but he's normal. He's only in for his anxiety. We were passing notes for a while because he was so scared to speak. I thinks he's the school pinching bag. He got best up by Sawyer and this other kid. And he came into special ed crying and bleeding. He looked so sad" I looked at my dad in such desperation. I wanted to know how to make him happy.

"He seems nice though. Is he gay too?" He asked. I was used to this question. Any time I mention a boy I kinda like, this is what he jumps to.

"I dunno. Anyway, I'm going out with Meghan tonight. So I need to go pick out something to wear" I said, getting up and heading upstairs.

"Where to?" He called at me.

"Froyo!" I yelled as I ran up the stairs to my room. I could hear him chuckling.

Time to pick out a nice outfit. I pulled my tank top over my head and strutted around my room shirtless, admiring myself in the mirror. Could I pull off the shirtless look? No. Need to try a bit more class.

I flicked through my closet in an attempted to find something cute, yet subtle.

After an hour of hunting, I chose the tight fitting grey t shirt. It's subtle, cute and shows off my Finnick muscles perfectly. This is exactly what I need for tonight.

I pulled off the shirt and my jeans and walked around my room picking up all the other clothes I chose against wearing. Here I noticed how many shirts I own that I never wear. Yikes.

I heard my phone vibrate from my dresser. I dump the collection of clothes and headed over to see which cutie muffin wanted me. It was Shane.

'Hey Joey. Can't join you later. Got stuff to do that I can't explain. I'm really sorry. I really do want to hang out with you. Maybe another time though. I'm sorry'

I felt a deep sense if sadness over come me in an instant. I was just so upset he wasn't coming. This was the moment I realised how I really did like Shane. I'd have to make sure tomorrow in special ed I give him my full attention. But I wonder why he can't make it?