Chapter 31

Chapter 31

~Shane's POV~

It was as if everything in the world suddenly felt good again. My mother had given me word that my dad was arrested to day they pulled my dying body out of that cupboard. He was locked up. He couldn't hurt us anymore. I hadn't felt a feeling of safeness in years. I'd felt it briefly when dating Sawyer all those years ago. I felt safe with him. But it was different to how I felt now. It was safeness such as when I kissed Joey.

Joey. He meant everything to me. Having him here with me in the hospital made my recovery easier. I couldn't think of anything better than this moment. I was laid in my hospital bed, Joey by my side with his head rested onto my chest, my arms around his back. The sheets were pulled up is, keeping us closer.

My eyes were shut, but I could still hear what was happening around me. I could hear that Sawyer was breathing soft and gently in the seat next to my bed, a slight whistle coming from his nose as he breathed out. An indication of the fact he was sleeping. It was nice having Sawyer around so much again. But I had a different feeling around him than I had before. He was just my friend now. Before, I wanted to marry him. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. But now I have Joey. But Sawyer will always be my first. That can never change. I didn't love him before. I thought I did, but I quite obviously didn't. He was more or less just an experiment to test if I really was gay. Turns out I was.

I could also hear my mother and Mitch chatting by the window across the other side of the room. Mitch and my mom became really close when I became Sawyer's friend in pre-K. I remember at around age 10, Mitch and Cam were begging my mom to let them adopt me. They tried everything to keep me away from my dad. I guess, they were the reason I felt so safe around Sawyer?

"I hope he can go home soon. 2 weeks is too long to spend in a hospital. I dread to think about your bills piling up?" Mitch said in a low, soft voice.

"I know. The bills are getting intense. I'll pick up a second job, that way I can maybe get them paid off by next Christmas" she sighed. I felt guilty. This was my fault.

"Let me pay it?" Mitch offered.

"No!" She yelled in a whisper. "Please. Let me do this. We're gonna start a fresh"

"Teresa, I can help you! Shane's like my son. I was the father he should have had, let me help!" Mitch begged. I wished he hadn't. I felt more guilt. I rolled my head over and opened my eyes. Watching them. But not speaking. Just watching.

"No, Mitch. I appreciate it, I really do. I just, can't accept it. You've helped us so much already" she said, not noticing me. I sighed. All of this was my fault. "And I promise we'll all move out of your place when I sell the old one and get a new little one for us"

"You can stay as long as you need to. Jacob and Jerid have been well behaved, and enjoyed the escape from the old house. And you're welcome to stay at ours for as long as you need. When Shane's allowed out, he can stay with Sawyer in his room seeing as we don't have any more spare rooms left"

"It's nice they're friends again. And it's nice you're getting on with him better now too" my mother smiled. And it was true, Sawyer was being a lot nicer towards his dads. I think it was mostly because he needed that comfort from the shock of my being in here. Who knows. But it was definitely a good thing that's for sure.

"Mom" I said, my voice rough and deep. She jumped a little and looked over at me, smiling as she realised I was awake. I smiled in return as she walked over to me. "I'd like it if I stayed with Sawyer"

"You want Joey to stay too?" Mitch asked, approaching us. I nodded, stroking the back of Joeys head softly. "Okay. I'll call his dad"

Just then, the doctor walked in, smiling as he saw Joey still sleeping on me. My mother shook his hand, repeating words of thanks to him for keeping me alive. He had done a pretty good job. My bruises were gone, my aching bones were repaired, my breathing was back up to strength, and overall, I felt a billion times better.

"How you doing Shane?" He smiled, picking up my chart from the bottom of my bed.

"Pretty good" I said, my voice still rough. Getting thirsty.

"Good. You wanna go home?" He said, a grin on his face.

"You mean-?" I smiled, excitement starting to set in. He nodded. Oh shit. I was heading home. Life was finally started to pick up.