Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Draco remained frozen until the Death Eaters were gone and they were alone. Violet hadn't moved apart from breathing, and she had done so silently.

Then he turned so sharply that his robes tore from her hands, and his wand clattered to the ground as he took her shoulders in his hands. "Breathe, Violet. Breathe."

His hands rubbed her shoulders. She took a few deep breaths and came to grips with what had happened. Then she nodded and he released her. "What were you thinking, running through the battle to get here?! You're lucky to be alive!"

"I didn't go through the battle." Her voice was still raspy. "I-I have this; from my brother." Her fingers fumbled. She pulled out the Time Turner.

He sighed and paced slowly. "Still stupid. When you ran to him–I could've killed you. Then the Death Eaters and werewolf–Merlin." He sank to the ground and rubbed his hands on his head. "Merlin, Vi."

"I'm sorry." She shook her head and sat down. "I-I didn't mean to..."

"Thank you." He shook his head, pulling at his hair. "If you hadn't been here I might have done it. Merlin, I might have done it."

"But you didn't."

"No. No, I didn't. When Greyback showed up I thought he was going to kill you. I was terrified. I thought he'd kill you. And I was too paralyzed to stop him, and Dumbledore was defenseless...Merlin, Vi." He looked up at her and she was surprised to see tears on his cheeks.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think about the Death Eaters that would come up. I didn't think things through. I was so stupid."

He moved to sit beside her and brought her head down to his chest. "You weren't stupid. You would've been completely safe...but Greyback..." he kissed her hair. "Thank you. Thank you."

"Sure. No problem." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "I don't want to go downstairs, Draco."

"No. No, neither do I."

"Then how are we going to leave? I don't have a broom."

"Stand up. Here." He helped her stand, then picked up his wand and walked to the window. "Accio broom!"

His broom flew up to him and he took it. "Here, it'll hold us both."

"You sure?" She looked at him dubiously.

"Yes. Trust me." He held out his hand and she walked over, taking it.

Well, it did hold both of them, if only just. They flew out and back to Malfoy Manor, which took close to six hours. Both of them almost fell asleep several times, and once Violet almost fell off the broom.

For most of the six hours she leaned against Draco, her head to his chest since both her legs were off one side of the broom. While she did this she listened to his heartbeat. Slow. Even. Steady. Draco would whisper to her, things that comforted both of them.

When they landed, Draco left his broom in the yard and walked inside, Violet tight to his side.

"Draco!" Narcissa came running toward them and embraced Draco, which was awkward since he wouldn't let go of Violet, nor she of him. "I heard. It happened. You did it. You killed him."

"Professor Snape did. I couldn't. Violet saved me from that."

She started crying. "Thank you, my dear. Thank you." Hugging Violet, she said, "Please, go on upstairs to Draco's room." Then she wiped her eyes and glanced back. "Draco, we have company."

Neither of them moved, giving her the Violet is involved and will hear everything look. After a few seconds she nodded and led them into the family room. Violet dropped her arms from his waist, but his stayed firmly in place. The message was clear; you will not leave my side.