Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"The woods again?" Violet laughed as they walked up.

"They're quiet, and I'm the only one that ever goes in."

They walked in silence for a few minutes. "It was the werewolf, and the Dark Lord."

"What?" Draco asked.

"My nightmare," she continued conversationally. "It was both of them together. They were attacking me, and when you tried to protect me, they killed you."

"That's why you were screaming my name."

She nodded. "Suppose you slept well apart from me screaming."

"Hardly. I only got an hour of sleep, if that."

"Why? Too guilty about yelling at me?" she nudged him with her hip.

He smiled and shook his head. "I was thinking about what you said."

They stopped walking, and he lifted her up onto a boulder. She was reminded how strong he was and smiled. "What I said? What did I say?"

"That you were my friend, but I was not yours." Resting on her waist still, his hands tightened just slightly as he spoke.

Her smile faded instantly. "I was angry. I wasn't thinking before talking. I didn't mean it."

"But it's true. Everything you said was true. Since we've become friends, you've sacrificed everything for me, and I've done nothing for you."

"You've been preoccupied."

"But I'm not anymore. And I want to make up for it."

"Draco–"

"This once, just listen." He smiled. She smiled back and put her arms around his neck.

"I'm all ears."

"We're going to see your brother."

She froze. "What? But I can't leave your property–You-Know-Who said—"

"That you aren't to leave my sight. That was his order. That's why I'm going with you. We're going to see him, and I don't care if it's stretching things. He's your brother and you want to see him."

For a moment she just stared at him, but then she pulled him forwards, nearly making him stumble, and pressed her lips to his.

"Thank you!" she exclaimed when she pulled away. He was grinning.

"I should take you places more often."

She chuckled. "When can we leave?"

"How long will it take to get to his flat?"

"Depends. Are we flying or taking the Knight Bus?"

"Which do you prefer?"

"The Knight Bus will take about ten minutes, but flying it'll be about two hours."

"Knight Bus it is." He smiled and she kissed him again before jumping down, her landing soft because he held her up.

They walked around to the front of the house and Draco raised his wand. The Knight Bus came screeching into view and slammed to a stop.

"Miz Ramsey, was it?" Stan Shunpike asked, taking Violet's hand to help her up. "Last I saw ya, I was takin' ya here las' summa."

"And now I'm going to St. Mungo's."

Draco frowned as he stepped on. "St. Mungo's?"

"Vincent lives just down the street in a wizard complex," she explained.