Mate

Chapter Ten

'Too Fast.'

It was the same thought I had been having from the moment my mother walked out of my room, up until the moment I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

In a rush I ran my hands over my fresh outfit and smoothed down my hair as much as I could to try and lessen the frizz before I carefully stepped forward and opened the door.

I unconsciously used the door as a shield between the two of us, keeping most of my body behind it while I let my head sort of wrap around the side to face him.

I found that looking at him up close like this was a rather dangerous thing, this is new to me, but I couldn't help the fact that it evoked unknown feelings in me that made me (or maybe it was my wolf) want to just be near him, and I knew that I wasn't ready for that at all.

"May I come in?" He asked gently.

I found that I couldn't muster up words so I simply resigned to nodded my head 'yes.'

Once fully in my room he stood right in the center near my bed and turned to look at me, he seemed effortlessly calm and collected while I was an obviously uptight bundle of nerves and anxiousness.

I knew I needed to talk to him.

I somehow found the courage to move to close my door to give us even a small semblance of privacy, though I'm sure we both knew my parents would be listening to us from somewhere downstairs.

"Y-you can have a seat if you'd like." I sounded.

Of course I said it more out of courtesy before I realized that I didn't really have anywhere for him to sit except my vanity stool or my bed.

He shook his head, "I don't mind standing."

Then there was the awkward pause.

Tension began to rise as clearly we both had a multitude of things we wanted to talk about but yet neither of us wanted to speak first. Finally I couldn't take it anymore.

"Please." I nearly whispered. "Say something."

"Cassandra" he smiled softly at me before lowering his head, he seemed so vulnerable. "...I have waited for this day to come for some time now, I know you are all new to this and I can give you all of the space and time that you need," then he lifted his face and his eyes met mine. "Just please don't push me away, not before giving me a fair chance."

I could hear the sadness underlying his words and it made his warm hazel eyes bear into me, as if he was trying to speak to my wolf rather than me.

But we both knew that my wolf didn't need convincing.

She was locked and loaded and ready to jump into anything he asked us to do, it was me who was being hesitant.

"Dean, try and understand that this isn't easy for me...I'm so confused right now, and, and everything is just happening too fast."

"I am trying to understand babe."

I flinched a little at the pet name, it was involuntarily done, but it was extremely foreign to me. Even in the four years with Jace, not once had we ever used any sort of terms of endearment for each other. He was always Jace and to him I was just Cassandra, not even a nickname like my friends would use.

He sighed, "I'm sorry Cassie, and I get it...it's too soon for the lovey dovey stuff, I can call you Cassie or Cassandra, it's no big deal."

But I knew he was lying, this was a big deal to him.