A Prom to Remember PT-2

If felt like forever.

The sun had set and Stephanie and I had begun to worry.

"I'm pretty sure we're gonna be late Cass."

I nodded, "I wonder what's going on, Dean isn't normally late for anything." I said as I looked down at my phone for the hundredth time.

"Can you text him or something."

I went to text him, but as I scrolled to find his name my wolf suddenly woke up.

I stopped.

"Cassie what's wrong?" Stephanie asked at my sudden urge to stop texting.

"Somethings not right, I-i can't tell for sure but my wolf is going crazy, I just, I need to be with Dean, she wants to be with her mate."

I stood up without notice, for the first time since shifting my wolf was in control I began rummaging through Stephanie's things like a mad woman.

"What're you doing?"

"I need your keys, we have to go to Dean now...hurry you have to take me to him right now!" I shouted on the verge of tears.

I don't know why I was feeling so emotional but I had a strong feeling it had something to do with Dean and then panic hit me, what if something happened to him?

"Cassandra!" Stephanie shouted, "my mom dropped me off, I don't have my car with me."

I ran out of my bedroom and rushed down the stairs in my heels and gown but I didn't care. "MOM!"

My mom flew out of the kitchen, worry washed her face. "What's wrong!?"

"...take me to Dean please."

"Cassandra baby what's wrong?!" My mother asked worried as she grabbed her purse and keys, Stephanie right behind us."

"I don't know mom, but something is not right, I can feel it."

We all got into my moms car and she floored it to the Giles' house.

Never had their house seemed so far away, but when we pulled up I bolted from the car and ran straight into the house in search for Dean, it didn't take me long to find him.

He was a crumpled mess, his eyes were bloodshot, his face tears stricken, his suit disheveled. But as I approached him I noticed who he was talking to, police officers.

"Dean?" I called out.

He turned and saw me before rushing over toward me. He hugged me tight as if I was his life support and he began to cry violently.

I held up my mate and let him get everything out.

While Dean let his emotions out people came in and Lola greeted them sadly.

"What's happened?" My mom asked.

"It's Ryan, he was...Ryan's been in an accident...apparently he died on the scene." Lola cried.

I could feel my own tears beginning to fall but I knew I had to be strong for my mate.

"Hey my Love, why don't we go upstairs." I suggested with a shaky voice as I tried to mask my own sadness.

I know Ryan and I hadn't always been on good terms, but he was someone I've known my whole life, he was also my Alpha, and most importantly he was my mates best friend and as close to a brother as he ever had.

Dean cleaned his face and then kissed my forehead and nodded.

"Alpha Dean, what do you want us to do?"

...The entire room stilled, not one sound could be heard.

Dean slowly turned to face the pack officer who had asked the question "I'm no Alpha." He growled angrily.

"It's your job...you are now." Another officer tried to defend his partner.

"I don't want the fucking position, I want my best friend back!"

I took Dean's hand in mine to get his attention, it worked, then I took his face into both of my hands gently like he does with me, "this is probably going to be the hardest thing you'll ever have to do my love, but you took an oath, and the pack is going to need you now more than ever."

He looked me dead in the eye for what seemed like an eternity before he finally nodded.

"I need answers." He growled.

"I saw everything boss." A tall guy who I vaguely remembered meeting with the rest of Dean's family spoke up.

"What the hell happened Chris?" Dean asked.

"I was fixing to drop off a load of lumber when I watched as your car came zooming down the road like a bat outta hell, I thought it was odd because I'd never seen you drive crazy like that, but as I watched on I noticed that all of a sudden he just turned off the road and into the forest."

"Ryan wouldn't kill himself if that's what you're implying."

The guy known as Chris shook his head, "it's what I saw boss...as soon as I saw the car turn I pulled the truck over and called the pack cops before I ran over to try and help you. The scene was a mess, just metal and glass everywhere touched by dirt, brush and...blood."

My stomach churned.

"Why was Ryan in your car?" I asked.

Dean looked at me when it suddenly all made sense, "go and check the sight of the accident...inspect the car meticulously for anything unusual and report back to me, as for right now we will keep this to ourselves until I make the announcement tomorrow morning...tonight I'll call his parents and let them have the evening to grieve in private."

Everyone seemed to disperse from Lola's lovely sitting room. Dean removed his jacket and bow tie before he undid his cuffs to his shirt and rolled his sleeves up.

"Girls i'm sorry your prom was ruined."

Stephanie and I made sounds of protest, as if we would really care about that at a time like this.

"Mom I'm gonna stay with Dean tonight."

She nodded, "of course sweetheart...Stephanie would you like me to give you a lift home?"

"Do you mind if I spend the night in Cassie's room, my parents are both working the night shift tonight and Julie's at her friends." Stephanie sounded sadly.

Once again my Mom nodded, they both came over and hugged me before leaving for the evening.

Lola's face was filled with concern and it didn't suit her normally bubbly demeanor. "Your father is on his way, would either of you like something to eat or drink?" She asked in an almost trance-like state.

We both shook our heads no, "we'll be upstairs Mom."

Dean took my hand and led me up the stairs and into his room, he kicked off his shoes, removed his belt, untucked his shirt and then got into his bed. I quietly sat on the edge of his bed and removed my heels before I followed his lead and got into bed.

We laid their in our formal wear, silent as I just held him and let him get it all out...we both knew that right now was his only moment he would be allowed to show any sign of weakness, because come morning, he would have to be stronger than strong as he faces the entire pack and tells them that our Alpha has died.

To him that was his best friend and brother, to them it was their Alpha...they may mourn the loss but they won't ever know the pain my Dean had to face.