1: Metal Angel

California

Somewhere along US Route 97

Optimus Prime drove along Route 97, the evergreens of northern California a blur as he passed by them at sixty-five miles per hour. He and Cade Yeager were under some tension since he got back from his attempt at finding the creators. Optimus had no such luck with that trip.

He was coming up on a junkyard located just off the highway. He was going to pass it without thought.

Until he saw an Autobot go flying out of the junkyard and onto the road! Optimus stopped. He didn't recognize this one...

He transformed just as a Decepticon burst out of the junkyard. It was Stinger!

The other Autobot, clearly Stinger's victim, tried to get up, struggling to get on his pedes. Stinger walked up slowly. The Autobot was unable to get up but kept trying to.

"Stay out of this, Prime!" Stinger warned. "This doesn't concern you!"

"I'd like to decide that for myself," Optimus said, defiant, looking down at the Decepticon, then over to the Autobot on the ground.

"I won't go back..." The Autobot growled, arming one of his weapons, an arm cannon. "I... Won't go back... I won't..."

"What did you do to him, Decepticon?" Optimus demanded.

"I told you this is none of your business, Prime!" Stinger snapped. "Back off! That is Lord Galvatron's property!"

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings!" Optimus stepped in between Stinger and the Autobot. Stinger readied his weapons.

Optimus, in response, readied his own. "Mine are bigger." He replied, confident with the upgrades he received during his trip to hunt down the creators.

The scare tactic worked. "...I will be back, Prime." Stinger took a small shot at the Autobot. It hit him straight in the optics. Stinger then took off.

Optimus then turned his attention to the young Autobot laying on the pavement. It was grinding it's dental bands, failing to hold back sounds of pain. Its servos were clutching at it's destroyed optics, as he thrashed back and forth on the pavement. Optimus deactivated his weapons.

"Take it easy, I'm getting you out of here..." Optimus bent down to pick up the Autobot.

"Don't take me back, I beg you!" The Autobot cried out.

"Relax," Optimus said calmly, taking the blind Autobot into his arms. "I'm not taking you back to Galvatron. I'm going to get you help."

"You're... not going to let them take me?" The Autobot asked. "...You're not one of them?"

"No," Optimus replied. "Try to relax. I'm going to get you help." Optimus knew if any humans besides Cade saw them near here, they would be in trouble. He sent an urgent email and text to Cade Yeager using his world wide web connection, then he walked off with the Autobot into the evergreens.

[Optimus Prime's POV]

I carried the young Autobot away from the roadway as quickly and quietly as I could. I found a spot near an abnormally large tree, with plenty of covers next to a stream. This would do.

The Autobot in my arms groaned in pain as I lay him down against the tree. He had been hit hard; dents and cracks were present all across his armor, and it seemed to be a miracle his chassis was still whole. But what tore at me the most was his optics. The poor soul was blind, and guilt nagged at me as to whether or not he would be able to see again as I saw his optics spark and flicker with energy.