4: Ambush

Optimus, Stripes, and the rest of the Autobots were out on a drive. They were still getting used to having Stripes around. Something was bothering Optimus about the new arrival, though. He noticed the young Autobot was extremely reserved when it came to his past. He would never talk about it, and always dodged questions about it relentlessly.

Finally, Optimus stopped at a canyon. It was time to confront Stripes about this issue. He transformed, and all the others followed suit.

"Stripes, I need to ask you something," Optimus said.

Stripes looked up at Optimus, not liking the feeling that was going through his circuits. "...Yes?"

"I've noticed you don't like to talk about your past," Optimus stated his observation bluntly. "Whenever it is brought up, you either dodge the question out of existence or stall until you think we've forgotten about it. Why?"

Stripe's engine ran cold as the words left Optimus' vocalizer. "...Why do you want to know so badly?" Stripes finally asked.

"In case you haven't noticed, we are few in number, and have many enemies," Optimus said coldly. "I've been stabbed in the back many times, even by humans. I don't plan on it happening again."

Stripe's temper heated up at those last two sentences. "You think I will betray you?! What would I have to gain from that? I don't know anyone else except for you and the other Autobots!"

Optimus wasn't backing down. "How do I know that for sure? For all I know, you might be a Decepticon spy or a new weapon made by the humans who are hunting us!"

This caused everyone in the group to look at Stripes with renewed paranoia and a wave of doubt.

"Boss has a good point." Hound said. "How do we know you aren't a spy? Or worse?!"

"Stop it, Hound!" Stripes growled.

Crosshairs nodded his head in agreement. "It's true. He could be a sleeper agent. Waiting to dismember us when we're in recharge. Or maybe he plans to lead us into an ambush? Or he could be leaking data to the Decepticons of our position?"

"I wouldn't do that!" Stripes snapped, defending his innocence against the onslaught of accusations.

Drift drew one of his swords. "Would you, or wouldn't you? You are a newcomer here, young one, and are not only are you testing Sensei's patience but the patience of us all as a whole! Start talking, or prepare to defend yourself!"

Just as Drift finished his sentence, weapons fire erupted around them. Everyone dove for cover. Stripes looked out from a rock face and saw who it was.

The Decepticons were here. In full force.

Galvatron stepped forward, his posture full of command. He then stated clearly so everyone heard.

"STRIPES! I KNOW YOU ARE HERE! IT'S TIME YOU KNEW YOUR SIDE IN THIS CONFLICT! RUN ALL YOU WANT, BUT I WILL FIND YOU! I WILL TRACK YOU NOT ONLY ACROSS THIS PLANET BUT ACROSS THE COSMOS! NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO PROTECT YOU, NOT EVEN OPTIMUS PRIME! YOU ARE MINE, CARLOS LOPEZ! YOU BELONG TO ME!"

Everyone readied their weapons. "What are you going on about, brother?!" Optimus snapped.

"You mean you didn't know?" Another voice chuckled. "Kid Bimmer over there wasn't an Autobot, to begin with... He used to be human. You've been fooled, Prime."

More soldiers appeared from behind Galvatron. One looked like it changed into a hot-rodded mustang with flames, looking similar to Barricade. The next looked like it changed into an Audi-R8, colored Crimson Red. And the third had the look of a Corvette.

"Who the hell are you?!" Stripes snapped.

"Oh, you should know us." The R8 pipped. "But it looks like we'll to spell it out of for you." The R8 motioned to the Mustang, and they each spoke haunting words.

"1: Bolt-on wonderboy is about to get smoked." The Mustang said

"2: Street Racing in Rockport is finished." The Corvette said proudly.

"Finally, 3: I gave Nikki everything that you couldn't." The R8 finished.

Stripes froze as those words were spoken. He knew who they were. It was Razor, Darius, and Cross! Stripes looked over to Optimus, fear pulsating through him. Optimus was staring right back into his optics. He didn't look pleased.