Ellie's POV

I walk downstairs and everyones looking at me.

Theres a very awkward 15 second silence with everyone just staring at each other before someone finally speaks up.

"So, you two can run to the store now." My mom breaks that silence.

"Ooook." I say as i slip on my flipflops and collect the money from the adults.

"Don't take too long please... We're hungry." My dad whines.

All of the adults start laughing. I look over at Michael and he has an expression on his face that i can't quite read. When he notices me looking, it immediately turns into a scowl. As usual.

"Alright i'm bored. Lets go." Michael says with no expression in his voice. He grabs his car keys and starts walking out the door.

Michael is much taller than me so his strides are longer, so when he sees that i'm nowhere close to being out the door when he is, he slams it in my face.

That really pisses me off.

I get in the passengers side seat and slam the door shut, my face probably red from anger.

"What the hell is your problem?!" He tells at me for slamming the door so hard.

"MY PROBLEM?! WHAT'S YOUR FUCKING PROBLEM MICHAEL?!" we sit there and fight for about five minutes before he finally shuts up and turns the car on.

The silence is unbearable so i turn on the radio. My favorite song is on so i start to sing along. Just as i'm getting to my favorite part, Michael turns off the radio.

"You're a horrible singer Ellie." He says wincing.

"Thanks." I say as i reach to turn the radio back on.

Before i even touch the button, he slaps my hand away.

"Michael!" I yell, suddenly 10x more irritated than i was.

"Why can't we just have a little peace and quiet for once?!" He sneers.

"Because the silence is getting awkward!" I explain with my teeth clenched.

"Well it should fit in perfectly with you then." He retorts with the slightest hint of a smirk on his face.

I've always been touchy about that subject, why people dont like me.

It makes me think back to when someone told me i would never find a date to prom because im awkward and weird. They were right, of course but i really took it to heart.

Right then and there i start crying.

Michael looks at me a little surprised, then rolls his eyes.

For the rest of the ride, i compose myself and try to act cool for once.

Michael parks the car in the semi-packed parking lot in front of Grayson's, the local super market.

As we're walking, our hands brush and i get chills. Michael looks at me with a very rude expression and takes his distance.

We walk inside and are immediately greeted by a peppy girl from our school, Cassie.

"Hey guys! Hows summer so far?" She says.

"Im so glad schools finally over!" I smile, being polite.

"Boring as fuck." Michael snorts.

Cassie scowls at him and then says, "well let me know if you guys need any help looking for anything."

"Thanks cassie! See you soon!" I smile.

We start walking towards the taco supplies. As we walk through the makeup department, i remember i need more mascara. I stop and start browsing, looking for my favorite.

Michael keeps walking, probably glad i'm not with him for at least a few seconds.

As i'm looking, a sales person strolls past.

"Excuse me? Can you help me find the cover girl mascara?" I ask the attractive guy that looks to be our age. His name tag says Tyler.

"Yeah. Umm..." He starts scanning the shelves as i study his features, he's muscular and very tan, black hair, green eyes, he's like a roman god!

Suddenly, the lights flick off and back on.

"What was that?" I ask, a little scared.

Tyler looks just as scared as i am.

"Uh its probably just a shortage. Im sure its nothing." He starts scanning again.

After a few moments of no luck, he says "i'll go look in the back ok? Stay here." He smiles and walks away. I do as i'm told and dont move.

After about 30 seconds of being alone, the lights turn off again, this time not turning back on. It's pitch black and the only thing i think of to do is sit down and wait for them to come back on.

Suddenly, i feel someone tap me on the shoulder.

"OH MY GOD." i yell, startled.

"Sorry ma'am. I'm the assistant manager here and the doors automatically lock when the power goes out so we might be here for a while." He says in a friendly voice that has a hint of fear in it.

"Ok..." I say, trying to figure out how to reply.

I start to panic as i realize the lights arent coming back on soon, and when i panic, i faint.

So i pass out.