Chapter 4 - Sam

I woke with a start. The lack of engine noise was overpowering as I wiped the drool off my face. I didn't remember falling asleep. The truck was pulled over at a well-lit gas station. I panicked seeing both Stinky and Charlie gone. Her car seat was still in the truck, but she and her bag were gone. I jumped from the truck, looked around quickly and decided to head toward the mini-mart attached to the station. I took off at a jog, the thought of losing Stinky was filling me with fear.

Charlie emerged from the mini-mart, Stinky smiling in his arm. He saw the relief in my face and shrugged his shoulders. "Sorry, you looked dead to the world. I thought you could use a bit more sleep," he apologized.

"No worries," I lied. My shoulders relaxed.

"Stinky is an apt name," Charlie smiled. I laughed, realizing why he stopped. He handed me Stinky's bag and held onto the girl. She seemed at home in his arms. Jealousy poked at me again, but I let it go. Everyone deserves some love after changing a diaper.

"Now that we're in Flagstaff, what's the plan?" Charlie asked.

"A place to sleep and I'll need to find some transportation," I said, thinking out loud, "maybe Amtrak." We started moving back to the truck.

"I hate goodbyes," Charlie said, moving slowly, "she makes it even harder." I could only nod. I would be in the same boat once I get to Portland. It was sad thinking about it. Though it hadn't been an entire day, Stinky made it seem an eternity.

"I think there's a Roadway Inn, a couple of blocks from the train station," Charlie continued, "It may not be the best, but it's cheap."

"Cheap is good," I agreed, "and all we're going to do is sleep. Can't believe I nodded out during the drive." Charlie lifted Stinky and put his lips to her forehead. He closed his eyes and held her there. I knew she was joining with him for the last time. His eyes flew open.

"They're coming," he said, handing me Stinky. He moved quickly to the truck. I followed trusting his words. "They're looking for the truck," He continued, as he opened the door and started to unhook the baby seat. "About four blocks away." He pointed to the southeast, diagonally across the street.

"Who's coming?" I asked, taking my overnight bag he thrust out behind him.

"Police, I think," Charlie answered as he removed the last of the car seat straps, "They're looking for her." His voice was as rushed as his movements.

"How did they know we are here?"

"I don't know, maybe my phone," Charlie responded shrugging his shoulders. He handed me the car seat. I shouldered the bags and took the seat. He looked at me with seriousness, "they want her. I don't know why, but I think we are in the way. They know of her and are wary of us."

"Shit," I sighed. My mind worked quickly, trying to figure out my next move. Leaving the truck was a given. "You have to stay with the truck," I said quickly. I thrust my left hip forward. "Take my phone out of my pocket and shove it between the seats. If they're tracking it, say I must have left it when you dropped me at the Motel 6 in Winslow." Charlie nodded and retrieved the phone.

"Go," Charlie said, "take care of her."

"Thank you, Charlie," I returned as I moved off quickly, my arms full of bags, seat, and baby. I moved behind the mini-mart toward a large metal dumpster. I was able to scoot behind, between it and the fence. I watched as Charlie hopped in the truck and started off down the road. Sirens and flashing lights followed only a few seconds later. I doubt if he made half a block.

One of the police cars pulled into the mini-mart and two officers got out. Both cops were wearing skin-tight blue gloves, most likely latex. One went directly into the store, the other stood watching whatever was happening down the street with Charlie. The store would have video, and I knew my time was limited. Whoever was after Stinky held enough power to track us down quickly. I thought about using Stinky, then shelved the idea. The cops had guns, and I might get too brave. The gloves meant they were aware of Stinky's gift, or under orders from someone who was. I needed a diversion.