Chapter 21 - Natalie

The bathroom was almost as big as the cabin. It was decorated like the bedroom, lots of rubber ducky yellow and safety strips in the tub. There was a built-in seat for someone to be close to Teegan as she bathed. Teegan started getting excited when she saw the tub, so I tried to turn on the water. It turns out that a person needed more than a law degree to accomplish it. I was about to call out, then decided that pointing and shrugging to the camera was a good test of the surveillance.

A young woman, I believe the one who was in the chemical suit, entered the bathroom in under a minute. She was still wearing gloves and kept her distance from Teegan, though didn't shy from me.

"It's a digital system," she said, tapping a dark flat panel that I had ignored. I had thought it was for watching the news or something. "The governor is set to avoid burns on her skin, but you should be able to find a comfortable temperature."

"I'm Natalie," I said, thinking I needed as few enemies as possible.

"I'm Abigal," she said, "I was hired as the nutritionist, but inherited the babysitting title." Abigal smiled at me and continued the lesson on how to set the temperature and water level. "The temperature will be maintained by the heaters in the tub wall. It is state of the art."

"A tub that never gets cold?" I asked, "seems you would never want to leave." Abigal smiled at me and set the water for 98 degrees.

"You may not want to use this tub yourself," Abigal matched my tone, "it lacks the privacy."

"So, you're fine with snatching Teegan?" I said, lifting Teegan up. The proximity made Abigal take a step back. Teegan smiled at her movement.

"The water will start flowing in just a moment," Abigal continued, ignoring my question, "the system will heat the water first."

"Amazing," I said.

"Life can be good here," Abigal said, "Mr. Corbett has told me to see to your comfort. My loyalty will make me do no less." She flipped some her blond hair over her shoulder. It was a nervous twitch that I am sure she didn't even know she was doing.

"I'm going to need some clothes and things," I said. Abigal smiled again.

"I've put some clean sweats, shorts and t-shirts in your room," Abigal was ticking off some invisible list with her fingers, "Also some panties and sports bras. I had to guess at your sizes, but I think they'll do in the short run. I'll get your measurements tomorrow, and we'll hit the catalogs. Your only limit will be your closet space, which," she chuckled, "will amaze you." I raised my eyebrows.

"The chief is asking what you would like for lunch," Abigal kept going, "he is suggesting a grilled apple, bacon and cheddar sandwich with roasted red onion mayo." I raised my eyebrows higher trying to decide if those even go together. "If Anthony says it good, it usually is. You can always give it a try and switch to something else if it doesn't suit you."

"Sure," I said, noticing my hunger for the first time, "I'll give anything a try once." Abigal nodded, "and maybe some iced tea if he has any."

"That won't be a problem," Abigal said brightly, "I'll have it brought up as soon as her bath is over."

"Teegan's bath," I said, wishing everyone would call her by name. I wanted them to recognize her as a human being.

"Of course, Teegan."

"Thank you, Abigal," I said with a smile and laid Teegan down on the cushioned changing table. The water began flowing, and Teegan heard it, and I felt her excitement fill me. Far away, I felt Sam's chuckle. I loved feeling him. Distance didn't seem to weaken it.