Chapter 28 - Captain Hodges

"No, Sir," I responded into to the phone, "we were misinformed. He has combat training, and he didn't come alone." I wasn't sure how to tell the General what I saw.

"He's not in any military database, Captain," the General said, "are you sure he's not just lucky?"

"Not from what I saw, Sir," I said, hoping the General didn't think I was losing it, "he did a Spiderman up the wall and ran directly into point-blank fire. Sir, I've never seen someone move so fast." I paused a moment, trying to settle my words. "There were others I didn't see, snipers who dropped three of the guards as he approached the house. He has tactical knowledge."

"That's certainly a new wrinkle. He's withdrawing now?" the General asked.

"Yes, Sir, I replied, "He took a beating inside the house. His face is a mess, and he could barely move." I moved the scope on my rifle from the child to the man. It was a wonder he could walk at all with that kind of blood loss.

"He has the child?"

"And the woman, sir," I replied, "I can see them moving toward the vehicle now. I have a clean line of fire." There was silence on the other end. I moved the crosshairs of the scope back to the child. There was a high chance I would drop the woman as well. She was holding the child too close. "Do you wish me to engage?" I asked. I prayed the answer was negative.

"Stand down," the General said. I re-engaged the safety and started breathing normally again. The relief felt good. "Drop all contact with Corbett and his people. We are going to try a different tactic."

"Yes, Sir," I acknowledged.

"Contact Dr. Gunderson," the General continued, "let's see if we do this without shooting Americans." I heard the relief in his voice as well.

"You expect him to cooperate, Sir?" I asked.

"I think we've been making deals with the wrong people, Captain," the General said, "our goals are containment and study. Maybe a simple please will work where force does not."

"They protect the child, Sir," I reminded the General, "I'm not sure they will see it as in her best interest."

"Then the deal will have to be in her best interest," the General said.