Chapter 14 - Sam

A blinding pain woke me from a dream I would never remember. I squinted my eyes as I sat up, quickly trying to decide what part of my brain someone just drove a nail through.

"You poor thing," Natalie said from the other side of the room. I blinked my eyes, trying to adjust to the sudden light. The sun had obviously been up for a while.

"That has got to hurt," Betty added. I opened one eye as Natalie scooped up Teegan in her arms. Betty moved close, her hands moving Teegan's hair about on the back of her head, looking for an injury. I lifted my hand to the back of my head and couldn't feel the bump I expected. "Barely a bump," Betty continued, "sounded worse than it was I guess." Natalie cuddled Teegan close in sympathy, kissing the back of her head, exactly where the pain was growing on mine. Where was my kiss?

I tried to stand up but lost my balance and landed on my ass before I even found my feet. Betty laughed and turned away quickly. Natalie, laughing as well, moved quickly to my side with Teegan in her arms. She pulled the blanket back over my naked body.

"Sorry," Betty announced as she moved toward the bedroom to give me a few minutes. The humor in her tone told me she wasn't that sorry. I suspected it was more the comedy than my physique that made her un-sorry.

"I should have woken you," Natalie said smiling, "you looked so comfortable I didn't want to disturb you." A soft good morning kiss accented her words. Memories of falling asleep in front of the fire came back to me. I tried to smile at the virility I displayed the night before. I winced at the pain in the back of my head.

"She bumped her head?' I asked.

"Yes," Natalie said with curiosity in her voice, "she crawled under the table and tried to sit up."

"She's crawling?" I asked, somewhat sad I didn't see it begin. I wasn't sure why it was important to me.

"Yep," Natalie replied as she sat down next to me. Teegan reached out to me in the most endearing manner. I had no choice but to take her in my arms. She wrapped her arms around my neck, her cheek against mine. The world shifted as the bond became strongly evident.

Teegan apologized. Not in words, but in feelings. I could feel her distress at the pain I felt.

"It's okay, honey," I whispered, "It's not that bad." I caressed her back as I absorbed her remorse at causing me pain. Love overwhelmed me. I was a father who could do what every father had desired since the beginning of time. I could take her pain onto myself.

Natalie, as smart as she was, searched the back of my head. I winced at the pressure. Her hand retracted quickly, and she moved slightly away in shock.

"She...she's projecting," Natalie stammered, "you feel her." I nodded. I no longer cared if I was being manipulated. As far as I was concerned, I was Teegan's father. Come hell or high water, I was there for her.

Through my child, I saw into Natalie. I could see the love she felt for me and her joy at the night before. I had never been someone's joy before. I smiled as her fantasies became apparent. Some were better left as dreams, others...well...I could cheat as well as her. My growing smile gave me away.

"Stop," Natalie said, her face blushing, "it's only fair if I do it." I now knew how she had seemed so attuned to my needs last night. I kissed Teegan's cheek before Natalie practically tore her from my arms.

"Don't you dare," I warned Natalie. I was smiling with as much malevolence as I could conjure into my eyes. "Tonight is mine." Natalie sucked in her breath and retracted her hand from Teegan's skin.

"Tonight is many hours away," Natalie stated. She had a hint of what I now knew. The thought of her under my passionate control was intoxicating. I wrapped one of the blankets around my waist and rose from the floor.