Chapter 7 - Sam

"Ma'am, it's just a quick inspection. We're not going through drawers, just looking for two people," the officer pleaded.

"I'm sure your intentions are altruistic, officer. That doesn't make them legal," Natalie continued, "you will need a search warrant as the law prescribes, and my client will comply. Until then, I believe you need to leave the property."

"Yes," shouted Rose, her Oscar performance still in high gear, "and take your Ebola with you. I don't want it anywhere near my house."

"We will be back ma'am," The officer said, his voice retreating. A few moments later, the door opened, and I heard clothes rustling in what must have been a hug.

"You shouldn't have come, sweetie," Rose said, "but I'm glad you came when you did."

"What the hell is going on?" Natalie asked, "the surrounding states are wondering why the CDC is letting people leave the city if it is so dangerous. They are thinking of closing off their borders to anyone that has been to Flagstaff."

"There's no Ebola," Rose said, "they made it up. They are just trying to find a child." I heard them approaching and left it to Rose to break the news.

"What? Why? How would you know?"

"Because the child is here, dear" Rose said. I heard Natalie suck in her breath.

"What have you done, mother?" Natalie said, her voice deepening, "why would you get in the middle of this?"

"'This', found me," Rose continued as she directed Natalie into the kitchen. A slender woman with caramel colored short hair parted over her left eye, entered. She had her mother's intelligent hazel eyes but was missing Rose's smile. I could see some of her father in her cheeks. Thankfully, she had her mother's nose. Natalie took a step back, the Ebola still on her mind.

"Hi Natalie," I said, rising with Stinky in my arms. Natalie looked quickly at Rose and me.

"Mother?" Natalie asked with apprehension.

"For god's sake, Natalie," Rose said, "do you think I would let you in here if Ebola were running rampant?" Natalie shook her head but didn't approach. "The child is special. Very special. We think the government wants her, and we don't believe it's best for her to go."

"What? Shouldn't her parents decide?" Natalie stuttered, "and what would the government want with a baby?"

"We don't know who her parents are," I replied, "I'm Sam by the way." Natalie ignored my outstretched hand and turned to her mother. I think I was the last person in the world she wanted to meet. She was one of those women who finds guys like me useless and in the way. My defenses kicked in. I began to dislike her in return. So much easier that way.

"They will be back, mother," Natalie chastised, "this time with a search warrant. You will be prosecuted for hindering an investigation. And for what?" She waved her hand at us, "people you don't even know." The way she said people hurt. She could have changed it to scum, and it would have sounded better. Stinky didn't deserve being lumped in with me. I squared my shoulders and lost my false smile. She was a judgemental bitch.

"Your manners need improvement, Natalie," Rose said in her teacher's voice. The look in her eyes gave Natalie pause. I could see Natalie considering a response, then shoving it aside. Her mother had that way about her.

"I'm sorry," Natalie said calmly, then she turned to me and repeated it. There was no more anger in her eyes.

"Of course," I stuttered out forgiveness. I wasn't used to a woman of her caliber apologizing to me. It sucked the strength from me. "I'm sure we took you by surprise," I added as an out for Natalie. She gave me half a smile which I returned in kind.