Chapter 22 - Natalie

"Mama," Teegan called. It wasn't the first time she called for me. I smiled and finally opened my eyes to find her standing in her crib. She started bobbing up and down when she saw my eyes. I hated to pull back the Egyptian cotton sheets. I could have only slept better if Sam was next to me. I sat up with a yawn and an exaggerated stretch.

"Good morning, sweetie," I said. Her happiness flowed through me and rebounded off Sam. For a second, I half expected him to be standing next to me. I remembered the cameras. I laughed to myself thinking how bored they must have been watching me sleep all night. I stood and lifted Teegan from the crib. She buried her head into my shoulder and gripped me hard. Her legs were pumping in excitement. 'This is how every mother should awake,' I thought.

My pleasure subsided quickly when my stomach turned. I felt bile rising in my throat. I remembered Victor's warnings about bringing her into my bathroom, so I started to put Teegan back in her crib so I could run to the toilet. She wrapped her hands tightly around my neck, and the sickness faded. I looked at my little girl's smile with confusion.

"Da," Teegan said. I felt Sam heave. Wherever he was, he had absorbed my upset stomach. Realization hit; morning sickness.

"No, honey," I told Teegan, trying to undo what was happening. I felt Sam strain again as nature advertised my pregnancy. I hugged my girl closer and tried desperately to express an apology to Sam.

It happened then.

A fourth innocent soul joined our bond. It was so soft and quiet. Tenderness wrapped solidly in between the three of us. My breath caught as it spread so perfectly, finding every part of me and pulling all of us closer. I felt tears in Sam's eyes, and my own began to fill. Our unborn son was there. He was so perfect, unmolded, and so wanting to be part of it all. Teegan hugged me closer, her smile burying itself into my neck as joy completed us.

The door burst open, and Abigal ran in. I quickly wiped my eyes and turned toward her, trying to fake irritation at the intrusion.

"Every think of knocking?" I said, trying to let the bonding fade. It was so beautiful, it was hard to let go.

"It...It looked like something was wrong," Abigal said, looking around the room like she expected to find something.

"Teegan wanted a hug," I said curtly, "a private one if you don't mind." I turned away from Abigal, trying to reinforce the idea of an unwanted invasion.

"I'm sorry, Natalie," Abigal said, backing out of the room. When the door closed, I let go of the breath I was holding.

"You already love him," I whispered to Teegan. She smiled as she always did. There was no jealousy in her. I could feel her acceptance of a brother, her desire to be with him. It was simply beautiful. I smiled for the cameras and danced around the room with Teegan as my partner. She laughed and sent her happiness to all of us.