Chapter 8 - Sam

Rose and Natalie talked well into the night. I left them to it, knowing that the earlier tears were only the beginning. They needed time together, and I was the third wheel. They insisted I leave Stinky and relax. I found a radio in the guest room and located an oldies station to listen too. It wasn't long before my eyes closed and I nodded off fully clothed.

"Sam." I heard Natalie softly calling my name. I realized it wasn't the first time. I opened my eyes to see her at the foot of the bed holding Stinky. "She misses you," Natalie said with a warmth I didn't expect. Natalie's eyes looked dreamy, and her smile was more than friendly. I almost looked behind me to see if it was meant for someone else.

"Sure," I fumbled and held my arms out. She put Stinky carefully, almost lovingly, in my arms. I pulled Stinky close. Natalie laughed as she ran out of the room. The smell hit me hard. I looked down at what I thought was raw sewage to find Stinky smiling at me.

"Chicken!" I yelled. More laughter. "Damn, Stinky. What did they feed you?" I maneuvered her off the bed and grabbed her bag. I was just tricked by a lawyer in a most childish manner. It would take time, but childish revenge was my specialty. I was breathing through my nose and laughing to myself as I cleaned up sewer butt.

I returned to the kitchen with a clean baby in one arm and a filthy diaper in the other. Rose was holding back a grin and Natalie was outright laughing. I made a feint, pretending to toss the foul diaper at Natalie who panicked for a moment then returned to her laughing.

"Think you're funny?" I asked.

"I know I am," Natalie countered. Rose turned away, trying not to offend me by laughing.

"It will come when you're not looking," I said ominously, "when you least expect it." My smile weakened the threat, but I knew I had her thinking.

"It was worth it," Natalie continued, "at least she is true to her namesake." I made to throw the diaper in the waste under the sink.

"Garage," Rose said, her grin no longer covered. It was worth it to see those two smiling. I could be the butt of their joke at that price. Stinky and I traveled to the garage and disposed of the foul beast.

"We really should get some sleep," Rose said.

"I think I was asleep," I commented. Natalie covered her mouth trying not to add to the joke, "I can take the couch," I offered.

"No," Natalie disagreed, "you were here first. The bedroom is for you and Stinky. I can always sleep with mom." Rose agreed as she started the dishwasher.

"Goodnight," Rose told me and leaned down to kiss Stinky's forehead.

"Sorry about that," Natalie said once her mom had left. Her smile belied how sorry she was. I wasn't upset. I should have been, but I enjoyed being toyed with by her. It was done in such a sisterly manner.

"I forgive you...for now," I said with a sly grin. Natalie nodded, knowing she was in for payback somewhere along the line.

"Actually, I have never changed a diaper," Natalie said as she rose, "maybe you could show me tomorrow."

"Sure," I said, "you have to supply your own gas mask though." That got me a small chuckle as she exited the kitchen calling out a good night. I returned it as pleasant as I could. For a judgemental bitch, she sure looked good in her jeans.

The smell of coffee woke me again. Stinky was gone, probably being entertained by Rose. As I was trained, I went to the bathroom and cleaned up before I entered the kitchen for coffee. Rose and Stinky smiled at me. A steaming cup was already waiting on the table. I could get used to that.