Chapter Two

Kendli walked home with her mother, keeping a safe distance. When they reached the colourful garden in front of the house, a knot formed in her stomach. As soon as the crossed that doorway, her mother’s composure would be something of the past.

They entered the palace, which was actually only a large house. Ezmaria dismissed the servants and the room was suddenly silent.

Her mother was still a picture of calm, which was a welcome surprise. “Have I taught you nothing? I cannot believe that my daughter would support a suggestion just because she is in love with the member who proposed it.”

Kendli shook her head violently. “I am not in love with Vadmar. He is reckless and a danger to himself and everyone around him… I could never love someone like that. I seconded Vadmar’s plan, because I really think that it could work.”

Her mother shook her head. “You think it- It cannot work, Kendli. You are a rash dreamer just like your father…”

Kendli froze, staring at her mother in disbelief. “I can’t believe that you just said that. You keep your mouth shut about Dad. Vadmar’s plan will work and if I hadn’t favoured it, Mother Quinn would have anyway. You’re just frustrated because for once in your life you’re not in control. And no, Mother, I am not a rash dreamer, but I definitely hope that I resemble my father closer that I resemble you.”

Kendli’s eyes gleamed, but her tears were soon goon. Ezmaria’s sculpted features softened as she put comforting arms around her daughter.

“Kendli, I’m so sorry. I never meant to insult your father. You know I loved him more than anything. I just- I don’t want you to make the same mistake I did- marrying a daredevil. I was constantly worried about your father’s safety…until his recklessness meant his end. Vadmar…”

Kendli pulled away and found comfort in her mother’s silver eyes. “Mom, I’m not going to marry Vadmar. I won’t be able to live in constant fear. Besides, I don’t love him.”

Her mother smiled. “Whatever you say, darling.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing, dear; forget I said anything.”

 “You arrogant little bastard.”

The King towered over Lector like a villain in a child’s bedtime story. He delivered another violent blow to his son’s jaw and Lector fell to the ground.

“Who are you to think that you know better than the King? Who do you think you are, calling me insolent?”

Lector coughed, blood sputtering from the wound on his lip. “I am your son! I am the crown prince of Lomova.”

His father kicked him, the black boot finding a rib. “If you ever humiliate me like that again, you will lose that title and your sister will be my successor.”

He didn’t have the strength to stand up or even reply. He was wounded and fatigued. The King’s best knights had trained him since age thirteen. If he wanted to, he could’ve stood up to the King. But Ceaser possessed elven magic and wasn’t afraid to use it.

After a few moments of darkness, he heard soft footsteps and felt gentle hands helping him onto a comfortable bed. He opened his woollen eyes in slits, revealing his mother and sister.

He had his mother’s features: light brown hair and green eyes. His sister, on the other hand, had his mother’s beauty but his father’s black hair. She was a stunning girl.

She was sponging his wounds, not leaving her brother to the servants to tend to. His mother was distressed and close to tears. “Oh, Lector, I am so sorry… I tried to stop him, but you know how your father gets when he’s angry. Poor Jenna and I almost became victims as well.”

Judging by his mother’s swollen lip, he guessed that she had more that almost become a victim. “Darling, in your father’s company, it is best to smile and agree… My poor baby.” She placed a soft hand on his bruised cheek.

“Mother, I’ve been smiling and nodding all my life. Don’t you ever get tired of being married to a monster?”

“Oh, Lector, he’s not a monster. He provides us with so many luxuries and takes care of us.”

“And money is all he ever gives us. Oh, and severe discipline. I’m tired of knowing better, yet having to keep quiet.”

Jenna leaned over him. “Ssh. Don’t get so worked up; you’ll hurt yourself. Now lie down and get some rest.”

He nodded as she continued to care for his bruises. His mother rose. “I’ll contact the doctor immediately to inform him of your terrible fall down the western stairs.”

He mustered a small smile. “Thank you, Mother.”

Jenna rolled her eyes as soon as the Queen had left. “It must have been one hell of a fall to get you this messed up.”

“Maybe I was carrying something heavy.”

“Yeah? Like what, the massive boulder you take everywhere?”

He chuckled, supressing a cough. “Mother will think of something.”

Jenna sighed, her honey brown eyes miserable. “She always does.”

“You know, if I mess up one more time, you’re crown princess.”

“I don’t want that. You’ll be a much better ruler- Lector, why did you stand up to father about the dragons?”

“I take notice of potential threats.”

She looked down. “So it’s not because you want the dragons to be freed?”

“Would it be that bad to want them restored to their former glory?”

She shook her head and beamed. “No, it wouldn’t be bad at all. Dragons aren’t mindless animals; they’re even smarter than humans. We have no right to force them to be inferior.”

Lector sighed. “Well, as you’ve probably noticed, there’s no arguing with Father.”

An hour later, Minki was still on the river bank. Ricki flopped down next to her. “Are you alright?”

She sniffed. “Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

“What happened?”

She shook her head and sniffed. “My mother regrets marrying my dad and having me. And she mercilessly let me in on the fact that love doesn’t exist.”

“Come on, that’s a load of nonsense. I’ve seen plenty of people who’re in love.”

“Did I mention that she also said I won’t be successful one day?”

Ricki smiled. “Minki, if you’re not prosperous, no one can be.” Such insight for a ten-year-old.

She nodded, smiling gratefully. “Thanks, Ricki.”

“No problem.”

“The workers are back!” She jumped up at seeing the farmers return from the fields. She ran, leaving Ricki behind. Her father was next to the house by the time she reached him. “Daddy.”

He lifted her off the ground in a bear hug. “Hello, sweetheart.”

So much love in those two words. “How was your day, sweetie?”

They walked together. “It was a bit rough, but it’s much better now.”

Her mother was rocking in a chair, knitting a thick blanket. Her father smiled. “Evening, Sophia.”

He leaned in for a kiss, but she turned her cheek. “There’s a crack in the bedroom wall.”

Nodding and smiling, he said, “I’ll see what I can do. Minki, do you want to help me?”

“Only if you promise to help me with my homework when we’re done.”

He tousled her hair. “Deal.”