Chapter Twenty Two

Minki tapped her foot on the stone floor impatiently. She was waiting in the Throne Room, along with Lector, King and Sasha, Lector’s young sapphire dragon.

“Where are my parents? We told them that we needed to leave early.”

Lector started towards the stairs. “I’ll go see what’s taking them.”

Minki pointed her index finger at him. “Check on your mother as well.”

“Okay.”

He turned around, took her hand and gave Minki a kiss. “And I promise that in a few years, it’ll be our wedding.”

She smiled. “I’m holding you to that.”

Kendli leaned against her dresser and sighed shakily. “I have never been this nervous in my life; it’s pathetic.”

Minki looked up from the white shoe she was shining. “Every bride gets wedding jitters.”

Jenna waved a hand at them. “Oh, nonsense. Today is the happiest day of your life.” She walked over to Kendli and placed a white flower in the Elven Mother’s fiery hair.

“But what if I’m making a mistake? There has to be a reason no Elven Mother has become Queen as well.”

Jenna puffed the skirt of Kendli’s gown. “That’s because all the other Elven Mothers were old a frumpy. No King wanted to marry them.”

Kendli giggled nervously and broke into a shaky sob at the end. Minki stood before her, putting both hands on the bride’s shoulders. “Vadmar’s your best friend, right?”

“Right.”

“And you were trained to be a Queen your whole life, right?”

Kendli nodded.

“You know that you and Vadmar love each other?”

Kendli nodded and started to smile. “Yes, I do.”

Jenna nodded. “See, you’ll be just fine. Now, come on, we don’t want to keep the King waiting.”

Zorak patted Vadmar on the shoulder. “Congratulations. Kendli is a great woman and you’re perfect for each other.”

Vadmar grinned from ear to ear. “I have never been this happy… And that’s a lot coming from me.”

Lector chuckled and shook the groom’s hand. “We’re happy for you, Vadmar.”

Ezmaria nodded. “I now pronounce you husband and wife. Vadmar, you may kiss your bride, but please keep in mind that she is my daughter.”

The guests chuckled and Kendli beamed as Vadmar kissed her, sealing their marriage. She got lost in his kiss and the knowledge that she would experience this every day for the rest of her life.

The elves, humans and even the dwarves cheered. The dragons roared unanimously.

Kendli smiled and looked up, seeing Zaria’s green silhouette soaring above them triumphantly. Just before the vision disappeared, she thought, Thank you, Zaria.

And then Kendli watched in awe as the thousands of dragons around her decided to take flight…

THE END