Her Life Was Miserable

"Welcome to the Columbus Office Depot, 'serving you since 2002'. Would you care for a flyer filled with coupons and great deals?"

I held out a vibrantly colored flyer to a woman with a small child beside her. She shook her head and continued walking. I sighed. I honestly hated my job. I was tasked with the job of "Depot Greeter". For hours I stood, handing out flyer after flyer filled with 'all the deals you need to furnish your office'. For this job, I must put on a smile, practise my best posture and act like working at the depot was the best thing I could have done with my life.

" Hello, welcome to the Columbus Office Depot, serving you since..."
A man in a suit walked straight by me, ignoring the flyer I was holding out to him. I rolled my eyes.

"Have a nice day, sir." I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Chapman!" A deep voice yelled.

'Oh crap.'

Steven Bremrose was the manager of the depot, and he was waddling up to me. That man was certainly a sight that would only be appreciated if you were missing your glasses. He was short and round with crevices in his greasy skin. He had to be at least fifty years old, and he wore a white suit shirt with blue stripes and black trousers. His eyes were brown and beady, and he had a permanent scowl. He was mostly balled, except for the partially bleached bowl cut. The top of his head was naked and shiny.

"Yes sir?" I put on my brightest smile.

"Do you know what the purpose of Depot Greeter is?"
He asked me.

"To show all of our valuable customers our greatest deals." I responded happily.

"And do you know what needs to happen?" Steven squinted his eyes.

"I need to be happy and respectful." I told him.

"Right, so be goddamn happy and respectful. We don't want our customers thinking we have depressed teenaged employees. Act happy or you'll be on janitorial duty for the next month."
With that, Steven turned around on his heels and walked off. I scowled at him and turned back to the door.

"Hi welcome to the Columbus Office Depot, serving you since... Wait a minute..."
I recognized the man who just walked in. He had messy brown hair and dark brown eyes.

"Josh?" I asked.

"Hi, yeah, uh, I broke my drum sticks and I need some tape."
He told me.

"Um, sure would you like me to find you some?" I asked, trying to act professional. Josh looked around the depot for a second.

"Yeah, that would be good. Tyler's waiting for me in the parking lot, so we need to be quick, if you don't mind." I quickly peered out the sliding glass doors and saw Tyler's blue Toyota parked in the front.

"Okay," I said, focusing my attention back on Josh, "here, follow me." I lead him through the depot to where the tape was.

"Now may I ask, what sort of tape would assist you in this urgent matter?" I asked. He chuckled.

"Just Duct tape would be fine," he said.

"Oh, Tyler wanted to know if you needed a ride home after you're done or whatever."
Josh told me. I tried to hide my smile as I picked a roll of Duct tape off of the shelf.

"Tell him that I'm off at Three o'clock." I said as I handed Josh the tape.

"Yeah, I will." He said.

"See ya around, Emily." Josh waved to me as he jogged to the check-out. When he left, I finally let myself smile.