Chapter 5 - A dinner date

Chapter 5
A dinner date

oOo

There is no disguise which can hide love for long where it exist, or simulate it where it does not. - Francois de la Rochefoucauld.

oOo

To my dismay, the week was flying by and it took no time at all for Wednesday to arrive. On a typical middle-of-the-week day, I usually went out to lunch with Cathy since I had the afternoon off. But today Cathy had different plans for us, she had somehow convinced me to have my hair and nails done at her salon.

-"So what did you do last night?" I asked as Cathy applied a thick coat of the darkest red nail polish I was able to find.

-"I talked to Aaron till two a.m." She grinned with a wicked glint in her eyes.

-"Seriously?" I exclaimed, surprised.

-"Oh yes ..." She winked.

-"Are you going to add him to your harem?" I joked.

Cathy laughed loudly.

-"Maybe, but he isn't the type that likes to share."

-"How do you know that?"

-"Oh, I can just tell."

I felt a stab of jealous at Cathy's confidence. Why couldn't I be assertive like she was? It all seemed so unfair ... We both grew quiet as Cathy carefully applied a second coat. She slid me a curious look.

-"So ... You and Zak ..." She started casually.

-"What about us?"

-"Do you remember anything else?"

-"Not really." I shrugged. I really didn't want to remember and I had tried hard to avoid even thinking about him or the missing night.

-"Are you sure?" She gave me a serious look. "Like ... oh I don't know, naked mud wrestling or a wedding or a wild Jell-O throwing party?"

I laughed.

-"No, I think I would remember those things."

-"Ana, seriously, no one just doesn't remember a whole night."

-"Maybe there is no point to remember," I shrugged. "I mean, so if I remember, then what? I get to recall that the only way I can get a hot guy is if I he is so drunk he can barely stand?" I sighed. "What's the point?"

Cathy gave me a sad look but her eyes sparkled with something mischievous.

-"I think you need believe in yourself a bit more."

To my relief Cathy dropped the subject of my weekend in Vegas. But she did not give up on her mission of giving me a massive makeover. I couldn't remember when I received such the royal treatment. After doing my hair along with my fingers and toe nails freshly painted we headed home and she insisted on helping me dress.

-"Do you own anything with color in this closet?" Cathy moaned after she threw the eighth shirt on the ground.

-"There is plenty of color in there." I replied from the bed, where I was laying down, staring at the ceiling feeling exasperated. It was just dinner with my mother.

-"Plenty of color is you are a depressed vampire." Cathy mumbled.

I rolled my eyes at her complaint.

-"Well we can't all pull off the happy hooker look."

Cathy threw a pair of slacks at me with a giggle.