Chapter 9

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning. Louis L'Amour

I must of not heard that right...

-"What?" I asked barely audible. My throat felt tight and my heart was in my stomach.

Zak's face was somber, his eyes looked pained. I knew what I had heard but my brain wouldn't register it. It couldn't be possible...

-"I'm married ..." He said again. His voice was taunt.

-"You're ... married ..." I slowly articulated the words as if I needed to say them so they would sink in.

Zak said nothing but kept his eyes on me.

-"But ... but ..." I stuttered still flabbergasted. How could that even be possible? "Why didn't you tell me before?" I finally cried.

Zak was about to respond but the words that escaped me earlier were all rushing back and I gave him no chance to reply.

-"We just kissed in the house! You kissed me!" I hissed pointing at the house.

-"Ana ..." Zak said softly. But I ignored him and kept ranting.

-"When were you planning on tell me, after we kissed again?"

-"Ana ..." Zak repeated a bit more firmly.

-"Oh my god," I started outraged, "We had sex!" I whispered, afraid that someone might hear me say it. "That makes me the other woman! I don't want to be the other woman ..." I whined. I felt sick. I knew what it was like to have that uncertainty about yourself and about the man that was supposed to love you. I still didn't know if Justin had cheated on me or not.

But now I was that other woman. That woman that others scorned at and whispered about when her back was turned because she slept with another woman's man. Somewhere there was a woman wondering what Zak was doing and if he was being faithful to their vows.

-"I think I'm going to throw up." I suddenly said clutching my stomach. This also made me realize that I had also technically cheated on Justin...

-"Ana!" Zak yelled, he set a hand on each of my shoulders and gave me a firm shake to get my attention.

I glared at him.

-"What!?" I yelled back.

-"I am married ... to you." He said soberly.

I laughed. Not a happy, funny laugh. No, this was more like a laugh when someone loses their sanity.

-"What are you talking about?" I hiccupped after my laughter died down. "I would know if I was married."

Zak kept his hands on my shoulder. His voice was soft and his dark blue eyes were serious.

-"That night we met in Vegas, we didn't just have sex Ana, we got married."

I shrugged out of his hands and backed away until my back hit my car. I violently shook my head no.

-"We are married Ana." He said firmly. "I have the marriage certificate ... and the ring." Zak pulled out of his pocket a gold wedding band that matched mine at home ... the one I thought belonged to him.

-"How can I not remember?" I whispered, my eyes fixed on the ring that sat in the center of Zak's palm.

-"I don't know, I was going to tell you at the library that first day I came down here, but you didn't seem to remember me, then Aaron told me that Cathy told him you really didn't remember."

-"I don't ..." I reached for the ring but my hand stilled halfway there. I looked up at Zak. "Wait ... " My brow furrowed, trying to connect everything. "Cathy knew? You told Cathy and not me? You been here for two days, why haven't you told me anything?"