I Called Him

*Makayla's POV*

It's only been a few hours since the police took Zayn but I can't sleep. I can't breath. My heart feels like it is shrinking from the inside. My chest feels like it is burning. A fire I can't put out. I feel so alone.

I've been living with Zayn the past few weeks and I thought I was getting better. I thought the therapist was helping.

But here I am. The nightmares are back and I scream so loud in my sleep that I wake myself up. And usually I wake up to see Zayn. But this time. I'm all alone.

I knew I should've stayed at home with mum.

I should've never moved in with Zayn. But it's too late now.

I continued to twist and turn in agony when finally I thought of something.

Something I knew would help.

So I called him.

I had to. I needed him. He told me a few weeks ago that he thought it was best to give me some space. He said it was because I started therapy and he didn't want to add more stress but I need him.

I haven't seen him in weeks. So I was nervous calling him.

He picked up quickly. At first I wasn't sure what to say since we haven't spoken in weeks and I had no idea how he was feeling.

"Uhh hi." I say, shyly. I hear him shuffle in bed and yawn. "Makayla? Are you okay?" His voice was deep and it made my heart speed up.

"It's kind of a long story. Sorry for waking you up but could you come over? Zayn isn't here for a certain reason, I'll tell you later. But I can't sleep." I explain and he sighs. "Are you still having those nightmares?" He asks.

He knows me too well.

"Yeah. Umm..so just please come over. I don't want to be alone." I beg with tears in my eyes. "Yeah. Of course. I'll be right over." He told me and hung up.

I sat up in bed and pulled my hair up into a bun. I looked around the room and thought about Zayn.

Is he in jail? Will I ever see him again? Will mum want me to move back home when she finds out?

I can't live alone. I just can't.

Knock knock.

My head spun around to see a figure in the doorway of my room and I knew exactly who it was.

"Hi Niall." I say as he walks into the room. He has a key to the apartment, so he just let himself in. Which I don't mind at all.

I notice he's wearing grey sweatpants and a white tshirt. His hair is messy and he's wearing vans.

"Thanks for coming." I tell him and he smiles softly. "Of course. It's good to see you. Umm....so I'll be on the couch then." He spoke but before he closed the door I called out.

"Wait!" I yelled and he turned around. I hesitated but I knew exactly what I wanted to say.

"Can you stay, umm...stay in here...with me?" The words came out quietly but I know he heard me clearly because he nodded and layed down next to me.

I could tell he was hesitant to get close to me, for reasons I'm not sure. Maybe because it was his decision to give "us" a break. He made it clear that it wasn't because I did anything. He just thought it would be best to spend some time with family.

But I needed his comfort. So I decided to move closer to him. He must have got the hint because he wrapped his arm around my waist and grabbed my hand.

His touch was soft and familiar. I felt comfortable and safe in his arms. Being with him feels meant to be. Even after all this time, all I want is him.

"I missed you." I admit.

"I missed you too." He says back.

If only he could see the huge smile on my face.

***

*Niall's POV*

I know I shouldn't. But I can't help it. I love her. I always have and I always will. So I'm gonna fight for her.

I watched as she turned to face me in the bed. Her eyes are closed as she sleeps peacefully.

She seems comfortable....and happy.

I pick up my phone to see messeges from Harry, Louis and Liam. All about what happened to Zayn.

Now I know why Makayla needed me.

Her brother got arrested and it must have triggered her nightmares. And I remember how she always told me that when we were together, her nightmares slowly went away. She wouldn't have them as often and they wouldn't be as scary.

I'm glad I came and stayed with her. And by the look on her face as she sleeps, I can tell she is too.

"Hey Niall?" Her voice caught me off guard since her eyes are still closed.

"Yeah."

"What are we? Like what they hell are we doing?" She asked sternly and at first I wasnt sure what she mean't, but then it clicked.

"I don't know M. I really don't know." I told her honestly.

Her eyes then opened as she looked up at me. She placed her hand on the side of my face and sighed.

"I need you Niall." She admits.

I don't say anything, instead I respond by leaning over and kissing her.