5. Always Protecting

Killian's POV

I wake up with my blankets around me. I specifically remember falling asleep without them. I sit up and see Emma snuggled up to her pillow. I smile figuring she was the one who put them on me. I get up and walk to her bed. I sit on the edge and just watch her for a moment. I snap out of my trace and shake her gently. "Emma," I say softly. "Come on, love, it's time to get up." She opens her eyes slowly. She groans. " I know." I chuckle.

"I don't want too."

"I know you don't." I get up and get dressed. I take my shirt off and put some pants on. I walk around trying to find a clean shirt. "Emma!" I call.

"Yeah?" She walks back into the room after changing. She stops once she sees me.

"Do you know if any of my shirts are clean?" I ask trying not to notice her starring.

"Uh, no." She looks away. "Just wear one of your old ones." She goes to her bed. I sigh and continue looking. Every now and then I can see her peak out of the corner of her eye at me. I ignore it and try not to smirk. I finally find a shirt and put it on. Emma and I go down to the coffee shop, get the drinks, and head to class.

"Bye, Swan." I wave too her as we separate. I head to my first class, history. I walk in.

"Ah, Mr. Jones, we have newly assigned seats. Yours is right there in the front." I take a seat she appointed to me. The next thing I know, Jefferson, the guy who kissed Emma, is placed next to me. I try not to jump him and beat the shit out of him.

"How did Emma like my kiss?" He smirks evily.

"Stay away from her!" I yell in a whisper as class starts. Most of the class goes smoothly until he slides me a note. I take it and read it.

'You might want to watch after Emma. You have no idea that things I'm going to do too her.'

After that something snaps inside me. I jump up from my seat and tackle him to the ground. It takes David, Robin, and my friend Will to tare us apart. "Stop it, Killian." David says.

"You know where to go, both of you!" The teacher says firmly, pointing to the door.

Emma's POV

After school I head back to the dorms. I open the door expecting Killian to make a smart comment on how late I am, but nothing. I look around but I don't find him. I walk down to Mary Margaret and Reds dorm. I knock on the door. A few seconds later Red answers it. "Hey, Emma." She smiles.

"Hey, um, have you seen Killian? He isn't at our dorm."

"You didn't hear?" She asks.

"Hear what?" I tilt my head in confusion.

"Killian got in trouble because he attacked the guy who kissed you."

"What!? When?" I say shocked.

"It was in the middle of class."

"How did you know he kissed me?" I ask crossing my arms.

"Well, I might had been there." She twiddles with her fingers. "Look, I know you can't see it, but he likes you, and not just as a friend. He didn't want a roommate until they made him take one, and he told me himself. And I quote: 'Emma's incredible. She's always up for fun, and she almost always laughs at my jokes no matter how shallow or dumb they may be. She's sweet, kind, funny, and just all around amazing person. I couldn't have asked for a better roommate.'"

"That doesn't prove that he likes me." I argue. "He was just saying what he likes about me. That doesn't mean anything." I turn back around and walk towards my dorm. I wait until Killian comes back. He finally opens the door and steps in. "And where have you been?" I ask crossing my arms over my chest.

"You're not my mother." He snaps. I flinch at his tone of voice.

"Well, excuse me for caring." I say with sass. "Why were you in trouble?"

"This is why." He throws a small piece of paper at me. I read it.

"You wrote this?" Tears start to gather in my eyes.

"No, the guy who kissed you did. His name is Jefferson." He says quickly. He steps up to me. I look up at him with fear in my eyes. He brings me into his embrace, comforting me as his arms stay around me. I wrap my arms around his waist and bury my face in his chest. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you, Swan. If he so much as lays a finger on you, he's going too wish he had never been born." I give a small laugh. "I'm sorry I snapped." He backs away from me. "I'm just tired and irritated, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I'm sorry." He sits down on the edge of his bed.

"It's okay." I take a seat next to him. "But why did you get in trouble for something you didn't do?" He gives a small laugh.

"Well, after he handed me that, I actually, kinda, maybe, jumped him in the middle of class." He smiles. My mouth drops. "Hey, no one says that kinda stuff about my best friend." He chuckles.

"You did that for me?" I ask in utter shock.

"Aye," I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him in for a tight hug. At first he hesitates, but finally gives in and hugs me back. He nuzzles his nose into my shoulder and his arms fit all the way around me. I smile and a soft sob escape. Be pulls back and looks into my eyes. "Why are you crying, love?" He asks wiping away my tears with his thumb.

"No one has ever protected me before, let alone take get in trouble to protect me."

"Well, times have changed, Swan." He pulls me in for another hug.

"Thank you." I snuggle against his chest and slowly fall asleep. He kisses my forehead and whispers something too me I'll never forget,

"I'll always be here."