chapter eight

-Brooke's POV-

"Okay, so, the battle is going to be betweeeeeeen," said Danny, building the tension by elongating the word between.

"Adam," he said and Adam stepped forward. He had long, brown hair which just reached his shoulders and a really nice face, with soft features. He was wearing ripped jeans and a band tee with a suit jacket over it.

"And Brooke," Danny finished, forcing me to step forward.

Shit. Adam was a really good singer, he had a kind of rocky tone to his voice but it somehow managed to stay silky smooth while maintaining the hardness of the rock tone. I have no idea how he did it. This was going to be interesting.

"And the song you'll be singing is...Everything Has Changed by Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran!" Danny announced.

I swear my jaw nearly touched the floor. Taylor Swift?? My voice is nothing like hers and she can reach a lot higher notes than I can. And Adam's voice was nothing like Ed Sheeran's either....what was Danny doing?

After Danny announced the remaining battles, Adam and I went over to him to begin our training, since we were first called out.

Both Adam and I were sceptical of the song choice at first, but Danny had changed up the arrangement a bit to suit our voices, and even on the first go it sounded pretty good. I was pumped for this performance. I had to get through this stage. In that moment after rehearsal, I realised how much I wanted to win. And how I actually might be able to.

🌸🌿

-Calum's POV-

I was sitting outside the studio where Brooke was training for the next round of The Voice.

It had been 2 days since I kissed her. We talked on the phone and everything; it wasn't like we had been ignoring each other since. I wanted to ask her out, and I knew she wanted me to ask her out, but I get so nervous even thinking about it.

"Dude, how do I ask her?" I asked Ashton after I had explained what happened, the day after the kiss. He shrugged his shoulders.

"You just know how to do it I guess," he said, "I can't tell you how! Besides, you've asked girls out before, what are you so worried about?" And I didn't know. Brooke just gave me butterflies, and I'd never really felt that before.

I sighed and rested my head against the wall behind me, closing my eyes and enjoying the warmth of the sun on my face.

"Hey," I heard a voice say from in front of me, making me jump slightly.

"Hi" I said, looking up to see Brooke standing right in front of me. I stood up so there were only a few centimetres between us. I instinctively leaned forward and kissed her on the nose, making her scrunch it up.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Well," I said. I was so nervous. I was almost sure my heartbeat was visible through my shirt. I cleared my throat.

"I was just wondering," I rubbed the back of my neck with my hand as my voice trailed off. Brooke raised her eyebrows with a bemused, and also slightly confused, look on her face. I sighed and dropped my arm to my side, defeated.

"I came here to ask you out. Properly" I said, "I really do like you, so if you wanted to, would you like to go out for dinner or something? I don't even mind what you want to do, we don't have to get dinner, I don't care just as long as you're there" I knew I was rambling but I couldn't stop the words from leaving my mouth. No matter how embarrassing they were. 'Just as long as you're there', wow, I'm such a loser.

"And that's why I came here," I said. "To ask you out...On a date." I smiled sheepishly.

Brooke smiled at me and laughed a bit.

"You're so cute," she said, taking my hand, "I'd love to go on a date with you, Calum."

"Really?" I asked, and was met with a nod of Brooke's head, making her hair bounce. I let out an involuntary sigh of relief.

"Okay, great. Yeah, good," I rambled in shock of her actually saying yes. "Wow, so are you free now?" I asked.

"Right now?!" she asked in surprise.

"Yeah!" I said, "Where's your spontaneity?" She smiled.

"Okay then," she said "where shall we go?" I knew exactly where we were going, since I knew Brooke wanted me to ask her out, I could kind of plan this date in advance. Which could have been really awkward if she had said no, but I wasn't thinking about that. It needed to be perfect.

🌸🌿

-Brooke's POV-

Calum and I walked hand in hand to the nearest park. I was so happy he had asked me out. He seemed really nervous, which kinda threw me off guard. He always acted so self assured and confident, especially on stage, but I guess he could still get really nervous and it showed today. Which I thought was insanely cute.

It was oddly sunny outside, for it being the start of February. The sunlight made the grass look greener, and the people look happier. I don't know why it did, but I loved it.

"Okay," said Calum, letting go of my hand and skipping slightly towards a large oak tree in the middle of the park. I followed behind him, smiling at how excited he was. He looked like a little kid, it was cute.

He circled the tree and it looked like he was searching for something. As I got closer to the tree, I head him mumbling to himself. He turned to face me.

"It's not here!" he said, pouting.

"What isn't?" I asked, frowning.

"Uhhhh," he said, circling the tree one last time before reappearing at my side, sighing.

"I told Ashton to leave a picnic basket under this tree!" he said, laughing a bit. "I didn't realise how cheesy that was until I said it out loud," he laughed, seemingly thinking out loud. "Anyway, it's not here!" he pouted.

He looked genuinely sad, but I couldn't help but laugh at him. Not in a mean way, of course, just a 'you're an adorable idiot' way, I guess.

"It's okay," I said, trying to re-assure him.

"Yeah," he said dejectedly. "Okay, plan B," he said, reaching his hand out for me to take it. I took it and he led me out of the park.

"Now where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see," he said.

The feeling of our fingers intertwined was wonderful. It was a physical reminder that someone cared for me, and it felt really good. I hadn't felt this good in a long time, and it was all because of a 17 year old band member. Crazy.

Even though we didn't get to have a picnic in the park, I was having a really great time. I was so nervous, but also really excited as Calum wove us through the smaller side streets of London. It felt like we were going on an adventure.

🌺

i really wanna date calum omg

update will be soon but exams and stuff stress me the hell out so yeah just warning you of my inevitable crapness byE x