chapter thirteen

--Calum's POV--

I sat in our hotel room in Cardiff, laptop balanced on my lap, headphones in. I was watching the latest episode of The Voice online because I was doing a show (I haven't grown tired of saying that yet) at the time of the TV airing. The contestants were really strong this year. I'm guessing that Brooke's battle was the last one because I'd already watched basically everyone and Brooke and Adam hadn't appeared yet. Then, finally, it was her turn.

The little VT the show had set up was really cute. She looked and sounded really nervous, but once they started talking about the song choice and singing in general, she calmed down a bit. Probably because it meant so much to her. I knew the feeling.

Then, once the TV had ended, Reggie introduced her and Adam onto the stage, where the two contestants shared a friendly hug, which may or may not have made me slightly jealous that it wasn't me that was holding her.

She sang so well. And she looked, well, hot. She was wearing these black leggings that kinda looked liked shiny jeans (jeggings? Are they a thing? Girl's fashion is dumb), a white shirt with some kind of faint pattern on it and a black leather jacket. The outfit was completed by her trusty white converse decorating her feet. It was funny how that girl, who looked like a proper "rock chick" was singing a Taylor Swift song, even though she was doing it with a slight rock edge to it.

I'm really not being bias, but she outshone Adam by a mile. His voice was great, but the song just suited Brooke better. And the judges unanimously agreed with me. When she got through, it felt like we were beginning on an adventure together, hand in hand. We were living our dreams respectively, albeit the same dream.

I reached for my iPhone on the coffee table in front of me, and I dialled Brooke's number, and she picked up after the fifth ring.

"Mmmm," she groaned.

"Are you asleep?!" I asked incredulously. I looked at the time on my laptop: 2.30AM. Oops.

"Its-like-5-am," she mumbled angrily, making the words sound like one, long, barrelled word.

"It's really only 2 am," I laughed. "Sorry babe, I didn't even realise what time it was."

"It's okay," she said, wakening up slowly. Then she spoke really fast, as if she had been hit with a sudden realisation, wakening her up very quickly. "Are you okay, why are you calling, what happened, did something happen, is everyone else okay?!" she rambled.

"hey...Brooke...BROOKE" I successfully cut off her panicky, thinking-out-loud talking. "I'm fine, I just watched The Voice, finally." It had been 5 days since the show aired and I was only watching it now.

I heard her switching on a light and the faint sound of a duvet or pillows being moved around while I spoke.

"And?" she asked, her voice carrying a smile.

"You're sooooo good, I'm so proud of you," I said. I genuinely felt my heart swell with pride, and it was such a comforting feeling. And the thought that maybe, just maybe, Brooke had the same feeling about me was a great one.

"Aw, thank you, Cal," she said, sounding embarrassed.

"Hey, I have some news," I said.

"Are you pregnant?" she asked, sarcastic concern dripping from her words.

"Yeah," I said. "I mean, I didn't know how to tell you..." she was laughing "...but you know, it think it's a great thing to happen in our relationship at this time..." she wheezed/laughed "...I know we're young but, aren't you happy? I'm ready to be a mother..."

"Please I can't breathe," she gasped, making me laugh.

"No, seriously, my sister's getting married in June sometime and she's invited you to the wedding, as my plus one and all," I announced excitedly. I'm so happy for Mali and she is obviously over the moon at her engagement.

"Seriously?! That's so great!" she said, "I'd be honoured to go!"

"It's just after the end of the tour, so it'll be a great way to round off a so far perfect year," I said. "So how are you?"

And then we were talking about nothing and everything at the same time, until sleep started to grip us both.

"I'm really going to miss you when you properly go on tour," she said sleepily.

"I'll miss you too," I said, feeling a pang of pain run through my heart. "But we'll face-time and Skype and text and call and it'll be like I'm not even gone," I reassured, wanting so badly for my statement to become reailty.

"Okay," she said, her breathing becoming slower, sleep enveloping her. "Pinky promise?"

"I pinky promise," I said. "Go to sleep,"

"Mmmm," she replied.

"Night babe," I said, and was met with a faint snore on the other side of the line. The smile on my lips hadn't disappeared from the moment the call began, to the moment of hanging up.

🌺

they're so cUtE ahdheksnk

so yeah sorry this took so long it probably wasn't even worth the wait lol sorry but hopefully it'll get better soon!!!!

thank you again okay ily all xx