chapter twelve

--Brooke's POV--

I looked all around me, taking in the entire crowd and wondering who would leave this arena as a new 5 Seconds of Summer fan. I smiled to myself, feeling an overwhelming sense of pride.

Suddenly, the lights went off, and the screaming started again. I felt my heartbeat race. A steady drumbeat filled the arena, lights flashing to the same rhythm that Ashton was drumming. Then I heard Calum and Luke singing, and Michael doing the harmonies.

Na na na na, na na na na na, na na na na na, hey!

Then the guitar properly kicked in, and Calum, Luke and Michael did a "busted jump" simultaneously. Calum started to sing and my heart melted. Not literally. Well, maybe literally, but I wasn't really sure of anything anymore.

This was one of the few songs the band had played to me before the tour started; it was called Superhero I think. I remember finding the lyrics really funny, but I don't know why. There was another song that I didn't know on the setlist Calum told me, but he didn't want me to hear it until tonight.

The whole thing was amazing. They were playing so well and singing equally as great. They talked during the intervals between songs; mostly apologising for their accents which I thought was cute. The crowd (including Chloe and myself) went crazy for Heartbreak Girl, even though the vast majority of the people in the arena didn't know the words. I was screaming the lyrics so much my throat began to ache.

🌸🌿

--Calum's POV--

"Thank youuu!" said Luke once Michael played the closing notes to Heartbreak Girl.

I looked out into the crowd and smiled, only being able to see the first couple of rows past the bright lights shining onto my face.

"So, uh," I said, reaching for the microphone stand, "Luke's just getting his acoustic guitar because we're gonna slow it down a bit now." I reached down and grabbed the bottle of water that was sitting beside the microphone stand in front of me, and took a long drink from it, savouring its coldness sliding across my vocal chords.

Luke returned to his mic holding his beloved acoustic, and the noise of screaming girls increased at his reappearance.

"This song is called Over and Over," I said, nodding to Luke indicating that I was ready. He nodded back.

"1, 2, 3, 4," Luke counted us in, and he and I started singing at the same time.

You know something I don't,

It's not like you to be cold,

Every night replayed over and over.

You say things that I don't,

You make me feel alone,

Every night replayed over and over.

🌸🌿

--Brooke's POV--

The crowd cheered, but in a less manic way than previously, probably because the song was a slower, more mellow one. It was as if everyone was in a trance while they were playing, the words of the song burrowing through everyone's chests and finding a place in their hearts, even if only for a fleeting moment. When the song ended, the applause was uproarious, but still trance-like. It was a really beautiful song and I think everyone knew it.

I kept my eyes on Calum the whole time and I noticed that he lost himself when he sang. He shut his eyes and his eyebrows knitted together, and just forgot about everything else in the world. I noticed little things about him that I hadn't seen before, like the way he stands with his legs spread apart when he's playing the bass or the acoustic. Little things like that, that you could only see when he was on stage and it was really lovely.

"So, we only have two more songs," said Ashton. I frowned because it didn't feel like they had been on stage all that long.

"This one's a bit special," said Calum. I focused intently on him; on his voice, his face, the way he was gently holding the microphone, everything that I could possibly see at that moment in time. I didn't want to miss any of it.

"It's special because I'm singing it to someone who's here in the audience somewhere and I just ...I guess I just wanted to let her know that I, uh, I think she's pretty cool," he said, smiling sheepishly after he finished his sentence. Chloe nudged me.

"I think this is the surprise for you!" she said, looking back up to the stage.

Calum's laugh filled the arena and he said, "So yeah, I hope you enjoy this song and I'll just be here...bass-ing it up." I laughed at our new inside joke and covered my mouth with one of my hands out of pure shock at the situation that was unfolding in front of me, and also in front of around 15,000 other people. I'd probably needed some kind of operation to take the smile off my face, it felt so permanent.

Then, the band launched into the intro for Katy Perry's Teenage Dream. I swear my jaw nearly touched the floor. Chloe and I danced and sang every single word along with our friends, who were tearing the stage up.

I still couldn't take my eyes off Calum. But, I saw that Chloe couldn't take her eyes off Luke, a huge smile painted on her face watching his every move. She had both of her hands resting on her chest, covering her heart, with her eyebrows raised in infatuation. I felt as if we were in a movie scene. Being a teenage girl was really hard, there were so many emotions to deal with.

They played the final notes of the song, and Calum looked over in our general direction and he blew a kiss. Lots of other girls screamed and pretended to catch the kiss he had sent into the air. And my heart fluttered like a butterfly stuck in a cage, knowing that I was the only person that it was intended for.

🌺

dont u just want calum to blow a kiss to u on stage oh mY

sorry if this was poopy it was kinda fun to write tho odjfledj

byE stay in drugs dont do school xx