chapter eighteen

--Chloe's POV--

I hate university work. Why did I even pick this course, oh my goodness this is so hard. Right. It's only one assignment. Okay, Chloe, focus. FOCUS. And just as I was about to focus 100% on my assignment (ahem), the front door swung open, then closed with a bang, and I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Brooke?" I called out, getting off my chair and gingerly heading towards the living room. I turned the corner (ready to fight an intruder with...no weapon) to find Brooke leaning against the wall with her face in her hands and her guitar by her feet. She was crying. Hard.

"Brooke?" I repeated, stepping closer to her. I put my hand on her back. Her shoulders were shaking because of her crying. She must have been knocked out of The Voice. Oh, god. It was her dream and she was so talented...how could she get knocked out so early on...?

"What happened?" I asked, putting my arm around her shoulders. She turned away from the wall so that she was facing me. Her face was red and blotchy, her hair was sticking out in odd places and her mascara had run down to her jaw line.

"He's - gone," she said through her tears and sharp breaths. I didn't expect Calum's going away on tour to affect her this much. I rubbed her arm supportively.

"Yeah, I know honey, but he'll be back before you know it an-"

"No," she interrupted, with force behind her voice. "He's really gone...he's done. It's - over," she sobbed. "He - I - we... " *sniff* "...he's gone forever and he doesn't want me back," she finished. She hadn't stopped crying and I just didn't know what to say.

She propelled herself at me and we stood tightly wrapped in each others arms in the hallway of our small, dimly lit apartment, the hug expressing all the words that each of us couldn't say.

🌸🌿

-- Calum's POV --

"Yo," said Luke tapping my arm, trying to get my attention. I didn't want to speak to him. I had my headphones in; it was obvious that I didn't want to speak to him.

"Calum," said Michael, more forcefully than Luke.

"What?" I sighed, removing one of my earphones.

"Sorry," Michael said with a sympathetic smile and Luke nodded in agreement. I just nodded slightly and put my other earphone back in.

I wanted to drown out the world, the world that had become slightly less colourful and slightly more monotonous. I couldn't wait to play these shows.

"Do you think we can still be friends?" I asked no-one in particular. There was no reply from any of my band mates. Instead, as if she had heard me, I got a text from Chloe.

"Hey, Calum. Just letting you know you probably did the right thing. It might not seem like it now, but there is a reason for everything and if it felt right in your heart, or in your mind, then it wasn't a bad decision. Don't let it ruin your tour. She's not mad at you. She will talk to you again...probably. Just give her some time. Keep smiling :) give everyone our love and have fun x"

A solitary tear rolled down my cheek. I furrowed my eyebrows, turned my phone off, and looked out the tour bus window, watching the greenery on the UK motorways fly by.

I wouldn't let it ruin my tour, but it would probably engulf my thoughts. I knew from that moment on that I would not stop thinking of Brooke and if I made the right decision or not.

I didn't want to lose her. I can't let her go...I won't let her go altogether. She means too much to me. Being in the relationship I want to be is impossible in a world tour situation. Isn't it?

🌺

everyone so sAD DAMN

ngl i actually got really emotional writing this ugh

stay groovy pals x