0.1 (prologue)

(lower case intended)

calum and luke have been best friends since second grade. it all started when calum was new to the school and it was his first day. lots of kids ignored him while others made fun of and teased him for wearing flowers in his hair and a 'girl' jacket that was baby blue and had pastel pink flowers on it. the only one who did none of those things was luke.

luke was always a very tough, rowdy boy. he played in dirt, rough housed with his older brothers, ran away from the bath. so it was a surprise when he thought calum was pretty, his words exactly.

"why are you crying?" little luke asked little calum who was crying alone in the sandbox on his third day of school.

"those meanies pushed me and tolded me that i-i'm supposed to wear boy clothes. they took my f-flower crown." calum cried into his tiny hands.

luke frowned and glared at the boys on the slide. he sighed and walked away from calum for a minute to the bushes on the side of the building. he picked a bunch of purple flowers and neatly shoved them in his pockets before walking back to calum. he sat down next to him and wrapped his arms around calum, who hesitated before hugging back.

"don't listen to them. you can wear any clothes, and you'll still look pretty." luke said and pulled away from the hug to see calum's eyes wide.

"you think i'm pretty?" calum sniffed.

"yes, very pretty. now come on, let's go to the swings and i'll push you." luke stood up and held out a hand for calum, pulling him up and they ran to the swings.

and that's how they first met. they didn't become best friends until the day after when luke excitedly rushed over to calum in the morning before school. calum didn't have any flowers in his hair like usual and he was wearing baggy jeans and a t shirt that he made him look and feel uncomfortable.

"cally! look what my mummy and me bought you." luke said and gave calum a quick hug before opening the bag he'd been carrying.

calum gasped and a full smile spread out on his face when he saw the black leggings and pastel pink shirt, along with a really poorly made flower crown, made with the flowers luke picked the day before.

"did you really get me all these things? and you made this flower crown?" calum asked with a blush spreading onto his cheeks.

"yeah, i did. and i wanted you to wear them tomorrow at school. th-then after come to my football (soccer) game." luke said shyly, which made calum giggle and nod.

"yes! of course, lukey." calum smiled wide and luke decided that he liked calum's smile better than his frown.

"a-and cally?" luke asked quietly as calum put the ugly flower crown (which calum wishes he still had to this day, even though it was terribly made and really ugly) on. "will you be my friend? like, best friend?"

and that's how luke and calum became best friends. and now, to this day, they've still been inseparable. and that's why luke is knocking on calum's door with flowers in his right hand and a bear holding chocolates in the other.

calum opened the door and squealed before throwing his arms around luke's neck, attacking his forehead with kisses.

"happy birthday, beautiful." luke chuckled and hugged calum back before setting him down.

"what the heck, luke!? you always go all out and make me feel like poop when i get you lazy gift cards on your birthdays." calum playfully smacked luke's broad chest before taking the gifts.

"happy seventeenth birthday, love. and i love your gift cards, even though i don't shop at walmart." luke chuckled and they walked inside of the house. mali and his mother were in the kitchen cutting calum's cake.

they walked in and both girls happily greeted luke with hugs and kisses.

"hey luke." mali smiled handed him a candle to put anywhere on the cake. he decided right next to the 'u' in calum's name.

"look at what luke got me." calum giggled and showed his mum and sister his gifts.

"so sweet, it's better than what daniel got him." mali muttered and rolled her eyes.

"what'd he get you?" luke asked, taking a seat on the stool next to calum who just sighed and frowned.

"nothing." is what mali said making calum just nod and roll his eyes.

"he hasn't even texted me. but i'm sure he's just planning something special, right?" calum said, barely any hope in his voice.

luke just nodded, thinking that he would be a much better boyfriend to calum. it's not a secret that luke hates daniel. it's not a secret daniel hates luke, well to calum these are secrets but to everyone else it wasn't. daniel is a complete and total douche bag and he's slept with more people than luke can even count.

almost every one calum knows doesn't like daniel, but they only want calum to be happy and if he's apparently happy with daniel, then they are happy.

"aye, hood family!" a loud voice shouted and multiple footsteps were heard rushing in. they weren't surprised when michael and ashton came running into the kitchen, tackling luke first and briefly rough housing. then they give gentle hugs to calum because it's no lie that calum is a delicate flower.

"hey mikey, hey ash." calum giggled at his loud friends.

"happy birthday, cally! you look so pretty today." ashton chuckled. calum blushed because he too liked his outfit. he wore black jeans with rips in the knee and the bottoms cuffed along with a white crop top that said 'princess' in black, sparkly letters.

"thanks ashy. you're too sweet." calum smiled.

they gave calum his gifts, michael gave him a pair of adidas shoes and visor to match the black track suit ashton got him. as the day went on and the boys watched movies and played video games and let calum do their makeup, he still didn't get any texts or calls from daniel. he began feeling sad and upset by eight o'clock when he still didn't contact him, and the boys weren't able to sleep over since it was a school night, so that made him feel lonely as well when they went home.

luke was the last to leave and before he could drive away to his house, he realized he left his phone at calum's. he ran back inside, a habit, and up to calum's room. he opened the door and frowned when seeing calum huddled up into his blankets and sobbing quietly as netflix played on his new laptop.

luke didn't ask anything, just rushed over to the bed and got under the blankets and wrapped his arms around calum. calum instantly nuzzled his nose into the crook of luke's neck and cried quietly.

"what's wrong, honey?" luke asked quietly, pausing the episode of gossip girl calum was watching.

"he texted me." calum croaked. "but all he said was he was going to pick me up for school tomorrow, nothing about my birthday."

luke took a deep breath, trying not to let his anger out on calum. "i'm sorry, cally." luke hummed and rubbed calum's bare back. his crop top somehow discarded itself before luke got there.

"he didn't even remember." calum mumbled.

"i know, but at least we all did. even your uncle did and sent you some money, even after you told him he looked like a crustier version of channing tatum." luke said, making calum giggle. luke smiled because that's good that he got calum laughing again.

the two laid there, doing nothing but breathing and holding each other. and calum drifted off to sleep thinking about all the birthday wishes he'll get at school tomorrow while luke thoughts drifted between him being calum's boyfriend and pampering him in everything he wants to him beating daniel up for being an asshole to his cally.

***

drama starts next chapter whoop whoop