Awake?

"Uncle Bobby?"
She felt his hand squeeze hers even harder, "You'll take care of my Ethie?" he barely squeaked out.
"Of course, but you'll be fine and you can take care of Aunt Ethel yourself."
"I'm not so sure about that one, kiddo. I love you."
Irene gulped. She had been the closest with Bobby, but he was never very affectionate. "I love you too."
She held his hand and he breathed. It was obviously difficult for him to breathe. Jack finally looked in the room, "Has he said anything?"
Irene then made the decision to lie as she knew if he did die, Ethel would never forgive herself, "Nope, not a word."
"Jackie is taking Ethel to a hotel to get some sleep. I should probably get some sleep too. Do you mind? I'll stay here and sleep if-"
"Dad, I don't need to be worrying about your Addison's. You know it gets worse when you're stressed and tired. Go rest."
Jack kissed her forehead, "Take care, kiddo."
Irene nodded silently and then Jack left.
She sat there holding Bobby's hand and feeling him squeeze it every now and then. Whether he was scared or in pain, Irene didn't know, but she did know that she wouldn't leave his side. The doctors in Parkland hadn't let her see Tom and she regretted not fighting to see him. She wasn't about to let Bobby die alone if he was going to die.
As the early morning hours approached, Bobby stirred for the first time since when he had said 'I love you'.
"Uncle Bobby?"
"Irene, is that you?"
"Yes! How are you?"
"I'm hurting a hell of a lot. What happened?"
"You were shot."
"Is Ethel alright?"
"Mom and Dad took her to a hotel to get some rest while I stayed here with you."
"I'm so sorry, Ire. It must've been hell to get that phone call," he said patting her hand.
Irene sighed and kissed Bobby's forehead, "Let me go tell the doctor that you're awake," she said as she felt tears welling in her eyes.
"Irene," Bobby said holding onto her hand, "I love you, kiddo."
"I love you too, Uncle Bobby."